Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for controlling one's emotions?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    I try to not get mad and act like a jerk at the bowling alley. However, there are rare occasions when I take out my frustration on the ball return or console . Any tips for how I can control my emotions 100% of the time? I guess I could find alternative ways to react like clapping my hands together or throwing my rosin bag down heh. I know bowling is supposed to be fun but I sometimes just want to hurry up and go home!
    How an event makes you feel is not something you can control. How you react to that emotion can be a conscious choice. Taking a deep breath and slowly exhaling can have a calming effect. Walking away from your lane, provided you can get back in time for your next frame, is also a good alternative to kicking and screaming.
    John

Chats: 0

Just had a guy practicing this evening and his antics made me think of this post. He got angry with I can only assume his score, had his bowling bag sitting on the bowlers chairs. He tossed his ball from the ball return trying to make a basket into his bag from 8 feet away. Well....he missed and hit the end of the chair shattering it and his ball ended up slamming into the flat metal bar underneath and it took a baseball size chunk out of his ball. Take a wild guess what he had to pay for? Not to mention he trashed a fairly new Motiv ball, one of them with the snake on it. On top of that he's banned from returning. All that over practice??

Out of the 9 games he bowled 163 was his highest score and 112 was the low. I'm not thinking he was exactly a career bowler so I have no idea what set him off. It wasn't another person because there wasn't anyone within 6 lanes of him and those people weren't obnoxious or anything. So I dunno....I wonder if it was worth it? I have no idea what the GM charged him for that chair I didn't ask but it probably wasn't 20 bucks. I'm sure he got smacked with the full price of a new one. Luckily we have a few spares in the back.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

SandBagger

Go with the number one goal to have fun NO MATTER WHAT. In my opinion, if you can't have fun every night for something which you are expending time, energy, and money, and that thing is causing stress instead then it is time to quit and find something more relaxing. If I ever walk out of a bowling center feeling like I wasted my time, I won't go back. I've been bowling for 28 years and I still keep going back!

Two, frustrations happen and different people react in different manner. I usually tell myself I'm an idiot after a stupid shot, but I do it inside my head. Then I evaluate what I did and what I need to do to correct it and make my next shot. If I ever really feel like hitting anything (very, very rare) I will just punch my palm or slap my towel against my ball bag. It expends a little frustration energy without causing any damage or embarrassment.

And finally, laugh at yourself. Nobody is perfect and averages come about by having some bad days. Your teammates are likely willing to laugh with you and will be happy not to have to endure bouts of anger.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

High Roller

I agree with keeping emotions in check. Hitting, kicking or throwing things is just an immature act. Sure I get frustrated but I try to figure out what I am doing wrong and try to fix it. Even in my younger days I didn't lose my temper to that extent.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 1

At our local lanes we have one of the punching machines in the arcade. If I or my teammates get frustrated we take a few bucks worth of punches out on it. In not time we are laughing and talking friendly trash on each other.

Chats: 256

Think more centers could use this for the immature bowlers that feel the need to lash out due to their own screw ups:

High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 1

Lol that would distract the crap out of me lol

The YouTube videos of people swinging at it and wiping out on the floor would be priceless, though...

Just what bowling centers need, yet another way to get distracted by other bowlers. Those start showing up at bowling centers, I'll happily shelf my equipment for life. A guy spouting off is bad enough to be bowling with. Now the same guy punching something that's gonna boing back and forth in my field of vision in addition to, I'd have to do the same with his face when I got off the approach. LOL I'd rather put the local gym in his GPS so he could go there instead, hell I'd throw in a gift card for a membership just so I could get back to my game in peace.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

What I like about bowling is the Zen effect it has for me. Sure! I’d like to bowl like the guys on TV; I had that chance back in the day, and chose to not take it. But I don’t, and I don’t have any illusions that I will ever. Bowling allows me to focus down on myself, my body, my concentration. It allows me to make calm decisions about adjustments and other strategies. It creates a calm little world in a sea of chaos for me. I never did see Bowling as competition, except with my own level of accomplishment.
    DV8 Red/Orange Misfit, Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Pyramid Blood Moon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast