Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for controlling one's emotions?

Angry Tips for controlling one's emotions?

I try to not get mad and act like a jerk at the bowling alley. However, there are rare occasions when I take out my frustration on the ball return or console . Any tips for how I can control my emotions 100% of the time? I guess I could find alternative ways to react like clapping my hands together or throwing my rosin bag down heh. I know bowling is supposed to be fun but I sometimes just want to hurry up and go home!

Dude it’s bowling. You’re not competing for a living, just have a good time. You’ll bowl better too.

Chats: 0

First realize that acting like that certainly will NOT help you bowl better. Second, it's going to make your teammates and other bowlers not want to bowl with you. Nobody likes bowling with or being around a hothead. If you seen someone acting like that what would you think of them? Third, if an employee sees you beating on the equipment and acting like a fool you will likely get thrown out or banned. I work at a bowling center and anyone doing what you described would be out the door no questions asked. Happily I don't have to do it often but I have had to do it, sometimes with the assistance of local law enforcement. Fourth, your antics are being recorded by the establishment and you could be held liable for any damages. Lastly, probably the most likely is that someone with a cell phone will record you and you'll end up a YouTube star under the heading "Guy misses 10 pin and goes psycho"

Like Grumpy said, it's bowling! When you get upset, go grab a beer, an ice cold soda, a Xanex or an order of chicken wings. How many people have you ever seen angry after eating chicken wings? Well, nobody besides maybe members of PETA. Anyway, there are probably a dozen better reasons in an average day to get upset over besides bowling. If you need help with your game then many here can help. Getting a coach is also a great thing and practice, practice, practice. Bowling can be frustrating at times, we've all been there and we all understand. I don't think anything can help you control your emotions 100% of the time besides the realization of the alternative of getting the boot or looking like an idiot just isn't worth it and won't make you better for it in the end.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

What is Bowling?

If you throw a bad ball, focus on what you did wrong and correcting it. Let it go and focus on the next frame. Losing your temper isn't going to help anything, just have fun.

Pin Crusher

Every one looses their temper once in a while. That said how many of the people in prison lost their temper just one time? Phonetek tell us how much the equipment you hit cost to replace. Where I bowl they have cameras and they see everything. We had a counter person miss place $40 and my team mate the Manager showed me on his phone a high def video of what happened. It was in the wrong envelope. The picture was so clear he could zoom in and you could read the ser. numbers on the bills. So remember big brother is watching!

Wont pretend to play therapist here, but I have realized the same weakness in my game. I am very competitive. I quit bowling for 20 years, once I started back I was so intent on getting my game back that competition was not in my vocabulary, I just wanted to bowl well. Now that I feel like I am bowling ok the competitive side of me is kicking in. But I realize that I am bowling with a bunch of non competitive bowlers. They are not as serious as me, and its a social hour for them. Sometimes I am strong enough to block out the distractions, never ready to bowl when its their turn, nose stuck in the phone, disappear from the set of lanes to talk to someone else, or gone into the bar to get a drink to bring back because the waitress isn't fast enough.....are just a few. My point...you have to bowl with folks that are as competitive as you are, and skill levels are equally as good. If not you can become frustrated very quickly. I struggle to stay focused, and that irritates me. If I can stay focused, I can bowl ok. When all the other things enter the picture, I have a hard time staying focused and my game suffers.
    I get angry when the way I bowl doesn't meet my expectations of how I feel I can Bowl. That's where my problems begin. That's when the methods talked about before can help you.....sort of distract yourself. Reset and take it frame by frame.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Every one looses their temper once in a while. That said how many of the people in prison lost their temper just one time? Phonetek tell us how much the equipment you hit cost to replace. Where I bowl they have cameras and they see everything. We had a counter person miss place $40 and my team mate the Manager showed me on his phone a high def video of what happened. It was in the wrong envelope. The picture was so clear he could zoom in and you could read the ser. numbers on the bills. So remember big brother is watching!
    You bet those camera's can focus in. A bartender was recently let go because he served a minor. He carded him too but the camera zoomed in to show that the bartender seen that he was under age because they could read his ID with the camera. If a camera could zoom in from 15ft away to clearly read a drivers license in poor lighting, then you can bet the bank they can see how equipment got damaged. It's ashamed, he was a good bartender that all of us liked as well as the customers. They've also busted people who vandalized tables, chairs, pool tables and other stuff.

Every inch of our place is under surveillance and they can go back months. Boss calls the younger employees in the office to write them up or let them go all the time for texting or playing with their phones on the job. You can't fart in that place without it being on camera. They could probably zoom in to see your shorts vibrate from it. Everywhere except the bathrooms and the back of the machines is on camera. It's the world we live in. We have a monitor at the counter to see several cameras but the office has all of them.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Crack a cold one!

Chats: 4

I used to be one of those hot heads years ago and acted like a fool
    by hitting the ball return, console, cursing, etc., etc. and calling the
    manager at that time some bad names.

Well to say he politely told me I was banned from the center for a
    while so I worked with a Pro bowler that was a good friend of mine
    at another center about 50 miles away to help me get my emotions
    under control.

Well after that I was invited back to the center and have remained
    there in good standings since as I've learned to keep it in check and
    not get mad and just throw a better shot next time.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Bowler

The last time I lost my temper I kicked the ball return cover and it popped off. I quickly tried to put it back on in embarrassment..I didn't mean to break anything or cause a scene. an occasional damnit to yourself is okay..I also cursed at the manager from 20 lanes away because our lanes weren't oiled for our sucky league and who knows me well. He could have reacted but he didn't and I realized he didn't deserve that..I just want to point out someone else's mistake and make my feedback clear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast