Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your goals before fall 2018 starts....have you met them??

Chats: 0

Default Your goals before fall 2018 starts....have you met them??

Fall 2018 is right around the corner. When I came back to bowling in Jan of this year I had plans to be ready by fall. My goal was to have a new 4 or 5 ball arsenal, new bag and to be among some of the better competitors in the area. I feel my game has definitely improved a lot since I came back. I owe a lot of that to this forum, working at a bowling center and by using video of myself. In my opinion the difference is night and day from a mere 7 months ago. I feel the quality of my game is where the biggest improvements were made, not solely the scores.

Have my goals been met? Well....hmmm....I'd have to say unfortunately not. I've certainly fell short. Goals are supposed to be set pretty high but I didn't think the ones I set were too high to obtain. I mean I wasn't expecting to be shooting 300's all the time or be on the pro tour or anything stupid. For financial reasons, even with my discount there isn't any way by fall that I can get my arsenal to be as versatile as I'd like it to be. I MAY be able to squeak out one additional ball which I'll likely be carrying in a sling rather than bag before everything starts but that's about it.

More importantly, can I be among the better competitors and do anything besides donate to the pots? At this point, it's unlikely. I mean I don't struggle to shoot a low 200, in fact it's been more unusual for me not to at least do that (where I work) even with my physical woes. In reality, how many pots is shooting a 200-230 gonna win? Probably not many on a competitive league these days.

I've decided that I'm gonna start getting in a lot more practice in spite of the pain and just grin and bare it. I don't care if I have to bite on the pencil while I bowl to deal with it if I have to. It sucks, but I refuse to play the waiting game until I can find a competent doctor to have an epiphany for a miracle fix. I have too much invested in myself to throw in the towel. I still have some time left before things get rolling for fall 2018 so I'll make the best of it until then and stock up on pencils for my bowling bag.

How about you? Have you accomplished your goals or at least made sufficient progress yet??
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Not even close here....lol. When I left 15 years ago I was using a 12 year old ball and averaging 193. Came back in January and my goal was to be at a 200 average by the end of the league (Late April). Well I ended that league with a 173 but the last 2 weeks I was averaging in the 190's so decided to join the summer league. Well started that league at a 154 average but have slowly started climbing back up and now at 168. The lanes are very oily this summer and my ball just isn't reacting with my speed. Supposed to be picking up a new ball tonight (Brunswick Kingpin). I told him to drill it strong so hopefully it can get some bite in this oil.
    I am still struggling with my spares but overall have gotten better (except my last game I bowled I had 6 opens, no spares). My goal for the end of this league is to end at 180 and hope to start the fall league at 195's and end the year at 210.

Sounds like alot but if I just start converting my spares I would be in the high 190's. My speed really hurts me. I have tried to slow it down but I'm a good 1.5-2MPH faster than most in our league. There are a few that throw as fast as me but that's the way they bowl. I don't think I used to throw this hard but who knows.

So in the end my goal is to slow down.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

SandBagger

I bowl three games a week most times, so the goal is just to have fun. It would be nice to get a high average and keep it (I was riding around 221 last year for awhile) but I don't necessarily expect it without getting a lot more time to practice, and that it not going to happen.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

My goal this summer is to get back into the game. That includes building an arsenal from scratch. Well, I got a summer pass and have been bowling a few times. A mixup by my professor has me swamped with school this week, but I'm going to be back next week.

As for my arsenal, I have a TZone, so there's that. I'm going to pick up another in a month or so. I'm not sure what yet, I'm going to work with the PSO and get something that will work for my game.
    -Dave

In the bag: DynoThane Vendetta, PBS Planet Earth, Brunswick TZone

I met my goal tonight, actually. Bowled my first 200 in league.

My next goal is simply to get and stay consistent. I want to get my scores within a ~20 pin range, so that I can build a baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I met my goal tonight, actually. Bowled my first 200 in league.

My next goal is simply to get and stay consistent. I want to get my scores within a ~20 pin range, so that I can build a baseline.
    Sweet! Congrats! Now that you did it once, you got the hard one out of the way. I have no doubt you'll have many more to follow and they will come much easier. Way to go, I'm happy for you.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Sweet! Congrats! Now that you did it once, you got the hard one out of the way. I have no doubt you'll have many more to follow and they will come much easier. Way to go, I'm happy for you.
    Hey thanks for the nice words, man.

I just started bowling regularly in January, and I've had about a 100-120 average so far. It's a big leap forward for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Hey thanks for the nice words, man.

I just started bowling regularly in January, and I've had about a 100-120 average so far. It's a big leap forward for me.
    Making progress is what counts. Keep working hard and it will happen.

My goal was to sign up for a summer league, or at least bowl a few games a week.

I haven't been to the center since early June, so ... no.

Quote Originally Posted by mishatx View Post
    My goal was to sign up for a summer league, or at least bowl a few games a week.

I haven't been to the center since early June, so ... no.
    Seems to be a pretty reasonable goal to achieve, well except for the league which is a tad late. You just have to get yourself there to do it. LOL I get it though, it's nice outside. Who wants to go to a bowling center when you can chill at home and have a barbeque? A million other things to do unless it's crummy outside.
    Bowling Center Manager

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast