Thread: Almost back after 2 months off because of injury (long read)

Default Almost back after 2 months off because of injury (long read)

I took a self imposed hiatus from here after injuring my (bowling) wrist for about 2 months and just tried to clear my head and come back fresh. The thing is though, the injury was totally preventable if I wasn't such a bonehead. I injured it by trying to throw a HUGE hook (twisting my wrist clockwise and then letting it unwind) with as much speed as I possibly could on bone dry lanes. I'm 55. My wrist had other ideas. I probably sustained a level 1 sprain at that time, and with 7-10 days rest/Ibuprofen/ice, it would have been fine.

Instead, in my infinite wisdom, I decided to keep bowling because it getting towards the end of the year and didn't want to miss any action. Guess what happened? It got worse. But that's just the beginning of my tale of ULTIMATE STUPIDITY. After I aggravated it even further, I thought I could just wrap it with an ace bandage and it would at least not get worse. Wrong.

That's not enough though. Even though I was pretty certain I was hurt by this point, I decided to keep bowling and throw a nice sized hook. Even more damage was done in the following 2 weeks. No problem I thought, fall/winter league is over and there's a 2 week break in between for the summer league. Plenty of time to rest and heal. Not.

I am so stubborn, that for opening night of summer league I wrapped it with athletic tape first, then an ace bandage, then more athletic tape, THEN one of those big metal wrist braces like Robby's. Not enough protection to cover my foolishness. I had to quit and go get X-rays the following day. A stage 1 sprain is 7-10 days recoup with proper care. Stage 2 is up to 2 months. Stage 3 can be from 3 months to a year because of ligament damage. I definitely crossed over into stage 3 territory because I didn't listen to my body and take care of it right away.

I'm still not totally healed, but probably 80%? The thing is, I can't wait any longer to get ready for the big money league that starts in late August. I want to go out this Sunday and (carefully) throw again. If I have a setback, oh well. Then I'll tell the guys they need to find someone else.

There is a moral to the story. DON'T BE STUPID LIKE ME!!!!!! I know most people won't because they're normal and not hurt themselves 3 more times after the initial injury. Even now, I probably should wait, but this is a HUGE money league (over $80,000 is available) and I have to know where I'm at. Thanks for reading, wish me luck.
    Last edited by Eddy; 07-18-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Chats: 0

I hear ya Eddy. I know exactly what you're going through. Only difference is at this point I haven't had any doctors to date say they can do anything to fix my hand. I've all but given up on hope it can be fixed. Stuff showed up on the MRI but it's not operable. It's more a "condition" than injury. Current consensus is they don't recommend me bowling. I'm not willing to wait any longer, just like you I wanna make some money dammit! I'm NOT going to quit, I can still hold my own. Besides, it's the ONE thing in my life that I am at all good at were I can accomplish something so I can't just walk away.

I tried taking a couple months off from throwing the ball and that did nothing but set me back from getting practice in causing me to need to up my spare game again. I'm not gonna lie, it freaking hurts and it hurts a lot. Afterward my right hand is very weak and I get purple lines down my fingers. I bowled two days ago and last night while working the bar I couldn't open a jar of cherries with my right hand. Nonetheless, I'm going bowling tonight with my son to a place we hadn't ever bowled at yet to see how we do there. It's a place that has the money leagues and before we leave I'm signing up. In my case it's just something I'll likely have to deal with forever. Until my hand stops working completely or just falls off I'm not stoppin! There is more to it that thought, I'm not getting into details. Lets just say it's not just to be stupid or stubborn.

I definitely wish you the best Eddy, I hope you dominate the crap out of that league and end up with a nice fat wallet as a result. If people tell you that you might as well burn your money. Tell them "I'll burn my winnings... bigger flame."
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Hey Eddy. I went through something similar. I left bowling in 2002 after I tore tendons in my elbow and the Dr. told me I would never be 100%. A year or two later I ended up with arthritis, bursitis, and impingement in my shoulder. This past January I decided to try again. After 15 years away I'm struggling with spares but the arm has been holding up pretty good.

Good luck to both of you!
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

BTW Eddy, First you weren't stupid. You love the game and you have determination. Nothing wrong with that. It's hard to stay away from something you love even if it hurts not to. Also, kudos on the "Phonetek length post" It's nice to see someone else beating on the keyboard for a while besides me. LOL Thanks Boatman =)
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    BTW Eddy, First you weren't stupid.
    Thanks for the kind words, but yes I was stupid/stubborn. It was a good learning experience.

Well, I'm back! After 10 weeks off and rehabbing my wrist, I averaged 190 for 5 games and more importantly my wrist doesn't seem any worse. It's still not 100%, but thankfully it's good enough to do what I really love. It sucked to have my arm in a brace for 2 months. I still have to be careful and not overdo it though. Believe it or not, I just heard my big money league starts next week. Tomorrow is the meeting, and then we tee off. I only have 1 week to practice, but oh well, I love it. Once bowling and football season starts, I'm good.

Btw, I made the 4-6 today for the first time. The old fashioned way by nicking the 6 pin just right and it falls over perfectly and nudges the 4 over. I was amazed, plus I've never seen it done. Cool moment.
    Last edited by Eddy; 08-05-2018 at 11:27 PM.