Thread: Bowling Boards and the world clock?

Chats: 0

Default Bowling Boards and the world clock?

I just noticed on the bottom of the forum it states that this site uses GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for it's clock and not UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). When I worked as a tech I know our switches and servers were in sync with UTC which was the standard. Curious why this site uses GMT?

NOTE: I'm not saying it's bad or wrong, just curious still thinking like a tech as to why?
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I wondered the same thing many many years ago when i first joined this site under a different name that kept getting hacked where i was always getting locked out of this site. Glad to see i am not the only one who wondered about this.

Now i am wondering why the post are going to the top of the front page of each post at the top rather than going to the bottom of the last page anyone posted on that post. it feels like everything is az backwards or something..

High Roller

The reason computers and servers use UTC is for synchronization purposes. In a domain environment if a computer/server is more than 5 minutes from the domain controller (which is synched to an NTP server via NTP protocol) then access is not granted. This is to help defend against replay attacks. Another purpose is in computer forensics or incident investigation. Trying to create a timeline is much easier when all devices use the same timing standards. No real reason to use it for websites. Most people want to see it listed in their local time zone so it is easier for them to figure out. Being a System Security Engineer and having done investigations I can tell you it is much easier for me to use UTC than to try to figure out the time zone for each device that another device communicated with. But when I'm on here it is much easier for me to see that your message was posted at 7:02PM my time than for me to try to calculate the UTC...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by TTREX View Post
    Now i am wondering why the post are going to the top of the front page of each post at the top rather than going to the bottom of the last page anyone posted on that post. it feels like everything is az backwards or something..
    I think there is a setting in your profile or somewhere where you can change the order the posts show up. I know another site I was on had a setting for that that could be changed
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I think there is a setting in your profile or somewhere where you can change the order the posts show up. I know another site I was on had a setting for that that could be changed
    Thanks for that info, i will try to find that setting as this is driving me nuts!!!

I found that setting and fixed it, so thank you again boatman37!! Now if there was only a way to stop the site from automatically signing me out...meaning i type so slow and have to recheck my self for errors that when i click post it will not post, and tells me i have to sign back in but by now everything i typed is gone and i have to start over. My own remedy is to type what i want to say to a text document first and then copy and paste to the post then click post, but honestly we should be able to sit here and type and not be signed out at all unless we sign out of the site manually or should not be signed out unless we close our browser...etc. To be signed out automatically after a few minutes is just plain insane and extremely annoying!!!!

I wonder how many great post have we all missed that might have been very informative that was lost due to the site doing this!!!! I am sure not everyone has the patience to start over once it is gone like that!!!! just saying...
    Last edited by TTREX; 10-27-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by TTREX View Post
    I found that setting and fixed it, so thank you again boatman37!! Now if there was only a way to stop the site from automatically signing me out...meaning i type so slow and have to recheck my self for errors that when i click post it will not post, and tells me i have to sign back in but by now everything i typed is gone and i have to start over. My own remedy is to type what i want to say to a text document first and then copy and paste to the post then click post, but honestly we should be able to sit here and type and not be signed out at all unless we sign out of the site manually or should not be signed out unless we close our browser...etc. To be signed out automatically after a few minutes is just plain insane and extremely annoying!!!!

I wonder how many great post have we all missed that might have been very informative that was lost due to the site doing this!!!! I am sure not everyone has the patience to start over once it is gone like that!!!! just saying...
    This is my pet peeve on this site as well. When I am posting something, I just highlight the text and click copy. Then if it says it has timed out, I sign back in and then open the post again, and hit paste. It retains the highlighted copy at least.

Haven't figured out how to keep signed on, so every time it takes to long to read a post, I get up to let the dog out, or go out to change the laundry - I have to come back and sign back in.

I agree, it is quite annoying.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150