Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowl or work?

Chats: 0

Default Bowl or work?

I was approached today by one of the members of one of our leagues to be on his team this fall. Now if I was going to bowl on a "fun" league, this would be the one. I've always requested to work that league because it is fun. Also, the money in tips on that night alone I do better than virtually the rest of the week combined.

Nobody on the league is serious. It's one of those "Get away from the wife" leagues. I know I would really enjoy bowling with these guys. I know why he asked me, it's not for my good looks or charming personality. LOL It's a very tough decision really. On one side I could use that night out with the guys but on the other hand I could really use the money. Hmmm....
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Well, there’s the prize money to consider too..

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Well, there’s the prize money to consider too..
    Not on that league LOL The highest games I seen from Feb when I started to the end of the season was 170's and a smattering of 180's. They'd rather spend their money on drinks than pots, hence why I always left a winner. =)
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Pin Crusher

Go to work and don't look back. Family first.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Go to work and don't look back. Family first.
    This. 100%.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Pay your bills, of course. But you do need to take time for yourself as well. That's a balance that everyone has to find on their own.

Although I don't pay bills with tips because it's not like I can count on them. I do know I'm not gonna go home stiffed from that league so I'll decline his offer. I'm better off sticking with money leagues at other houses. I could use those tips for getting into pots with hopes of coming out ahead. That of course is no guarantee but not working that night is a guarantee I won't get that money. Money leagues are fun as well, just in a different way. Besides, working that league I'm still a part of the fun, just not on the lanes.

When you work for tips you have to make your paychecks count because they are the constant. Had I chose to bowl that league instead of work my hours wouldn't change, I'd just work a different day/night to compensate. I'm always scheduled a minimum amount of hours that I know I will work. I usually end up working more either because we are too busy or to cover someone else because they couldn't come in for some reason. They know I'm the one person who never turns down hours even at the last minute.
    Bowling Center Manager

What’s the difference between a ‘money league’ and a ‘fun league’?

The "fun" leagues especially where I work they don't have any pots or prize money and it's not certified. It's just a night out with the boys bowling and what I would consider "organized practice". A "money" league of course has pots and usually good ones and are certified. Obviously to make any money at it you have to bowl well because there is likely some competition. I'm not exactly in what I would consider top form but still have enough confidence in myself that I could do pretty good. I always enjoyed bowling under pressure, the more the better. I haven't bowled under pressure since my return but I'm willing to bet the switch in my head still works.
    Bowling Center Manager

I was afraid you’d say that. I was under the impression that my summer league had prizes, but now I’m not sure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast