Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lanes getting cut in two weeks

Chats: 0

Default Lanes getting cut in two weeks

Two weeks from today in the afternoon we are closing early. I'm working with the head mechanic to drop the pindecks, take out the flat gutters and remove all the ball returns on the approach. The pinchasers are taking out all the chairs in the seating area, end caps and bumpers. The next day they are coming to cut the lanes. A more aggressive form of resurfacing. They are gonna send a machine down which is basically a power plane that's going to take off 1/16" each pass until there is no more dents. Whichever lane gets the most cut then all the lanes will be cut to match that depth as well as all the approach all the way across. It's going to make a HUGE mess! Meanwhile all the furniture, ball returns and end caps are going to get power washed and the end caps will get a fresh coat of paint. When all that's done we will raise the pindecks back up, clean up the big mess, coil the lanes and put in fresh bowling pins. Then USBC is going to come out and certify the lanes. Lastly, carpet in the entire place will be steam cleaned and we are supposed to re-open that Thursday.

It sounds like a tremendous amount of work to do in just 4 days. They have been through it before so I guess they'd know. I think seeing this process is going to be quite cool and a true learning experience. I also can't wait to be the first to bowl on fresh lanes! I am going to TRY to get a bunch of video on this but there will be stuff going on around the clock so I won't be able to get everything. I will try my best to get as much quality footage as I can. I know if anyone would appreciate that more it would you folks on this board.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 32

They do this yearly in one of my houses but they close for 2 weeks to do it. Good luck doing it in 4 days. It is a 36 lane house though.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

back in the early 90's I worked in a 48 lane house that cut ever summer
    they closed up Saturday night and re-opened the following Friday afternoon
    The guy in charge was a long time construction supervisor and ran the project just like a construction site ( gant charts, daily assignments, punch list, etc...)
    All the regular employees worked a bunch of overtime and they had 5 to 6 temporaries to get it done.
    In addition, they deep cleaned the entire building, painted, refreshed and replaced what ever was needed.
    I was one of the best houses around back then, sadly the building is now gone and a scummy used car dealership is on the property
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

They cut the lanes or just resurface? They tell me there is a difference. They say cutting takes a lot more wood off the top and it can't be done too often or you'd eventually run out of wood which makes perfect sense. I think resurfacing is more of a sanding? We only have 12 lanes, I still think 4 days is ambitious too.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 32

Truthfully I don't know. They re did the lanes and approach both usually there were no divot marks or anything after they finished and it took about two weeks bowling to get the approaches back to where they were just slick lol
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Pin Crusher

Our lanes were resurfaced every year and never got bad enough to have to be cut. After about 35-40 years went to synthetic lanes but kept wood approaches. Just replaced the wood approaches. Bought the approaches from Taylor lanes in Taylor Mi. the long time PBA stop. The management there only did them every 5-6 years. They were in really good shape for being 40 yrs. old.

Yeah I bet! LOL I'm eager to see the process and definitely the end result. Right now our lanes are rather orange looking and approaches have been sticky from the humidity lately. They tell me they haven't been touched in 3 years hence the color. It will be nice to see them blonde and fresh. It will probably really brighten up the place when it's all said and done. Thanks for the warning about the approaches, since I'm a minimal slider that's definitely valuable information to have so I don't break my arse!
    Bowling Center Manager

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Just make sure to measure twice...you could be like the new Bowlmor in North Phoenix on Mayo. They have decided to put in 52 foot lanes rather than the normal 60 foot lanes...
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    Just make sure to measure twice...you could be like the new Bowlmor in North Phoenix on Mayo. They have decided to put in 52 foot lanes rather than the normal 60 foot lanes...
    LOL I'm not doing the cutting. That's up to the pro's to do, they screw it up it's on them. My main job is to drop the pindecks because those don't get cut. When their done I have to raise them to be flush and even. All lanes have to have the tables adjusted to the new height and pins re-spotted and sweeps adjusted. I'm sure some other stuff I will find out about then. A LOT of work to do. Hopefully they don't have to take too much off or we are going to have to lower all the machines too.
    Bowling Center Manager

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

If you want a idea about how lanes are resurfaced then look at this page:

A Look at the Dying Craft of Sanding & Finishing Bowling Alleys
    https://www.woodfloorbusiness.com/sa...ng-alleys.html

http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Resurf...rocedures.html

While some companies might use slightly different machines, the procedure is basically the same.

You can also look here:

http://bght.blogspot.com/2012/01/bow...n-1-27-11.html

Last edited by bowl1820; 07-30-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast