Length:17
Backend:18.5
Hook:49
Flare Potential:4"+

Hail Halogen.
Hail Hexion.
Hall Hydra.

Summary

I used the Hydra out of box on a variety of patterns and it does indeed do as advertised on light to medium patterns, to an extent on heavier patterns however I did alter the surface using a small square green scotch brite and a 1000 abralon pad simultaneously. At 5000 the Hydra is lengthy and when encountering friction it makes a strong move down lane, out of box the strong move is sharp but continuous so it doesn’t hook through the pin deck.

Applying surface to the Hydra makes the shape rounder down lane which I found ideal for my rev rate and ball speed, instead of a sharp continuous motion it was evenly continuous. I did not lose any length by altering the cover which shows the versatility of the Hexion cover and the strength of the Halogen core.

Hydra is a great go to ball when your Venom Shock Pearl is too strong and your Freestyle is not enough for your liking, testing Hydra on flatter patterns it matched up nicely for me at both box and scotchbralon 1000 which speaks to its versatility.

Continuation is something Motiv has never lacked on and there is no shortage in Hydra, it isn’t something that hooks through the pin deck instead it continuous. There is nothing like a ball that does as advertised and Hydra is everything that it is made out to be and more, I consider Hydra to be a success for all types of styles.

As a fan of the Apex, Apex Ascent, Freestyle, and Freestyle Rush I have an admiration for small ball weaponry and the ball motion they provide, Hydra doesn’t disappoint and will offer you a lot for an affordable price. Should you have a spot to fill in your bag or you’re a collector of small weaponry I encourage you take a look at Hydra.

Your game will thank you for it.

K.C. White II

Motiv Staffer