Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally some answers!

Chats: 0

Default Finally some answers!

I guess seeing a rheumatologist wasn't a bad thing. She said I have severe inflammation and she's thinking it's cause by nerve damage in the ulnar nerve and possibly others. She ordered an EMG, put me on steroids to see if it helps. The EMG is a nerve test using electric zaps on the nerves to see how they respond. After all those years at the phone company I'm sure the test will be a breeze. She may have to dial it up a few notches though so I feel it. LOL She also ordered occupational therapy. I told her about bowling and she recommends in the meantime to get an elbow brace, wrap my wrist and tape my fingers. I'll be all wrapped up like a mummy I guess but if it helps I'll do it. I told her my plans and NOT bowling is NOT an option. She said she'd never tell me that. I really like this doctor, worth every penny unlike the stroke I seen previously.

I also spoke to a coach and he recommends getting Vaccu Grips. You go down a full grip size but they are designed to fit snug but have room for expansion for swelling and provide a much more comfortable grip. If it still causes pain I may have to give the Sarge Easter Grip a try from what he said. I'm very excited that I finally got some answers, not exactly great news but at least I am a step closer.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Much better news. Good for you buddy!

Glad to hear it. I hope you get some relief soon.
    -Dave

In the bag: DynoThane Vendetta, PBS Planet Earth, Brunswick TZone

Hey Phoney!
    Sounds like you got two great reports there. One from the Doc and one from the coach.
    Maybe you'll be back on the lanes sooner than you had thought... Hope so!
    Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Hey Phoney!
    Sounds like you got two great reports there. One from the Doc and one from the coach.
    Maybe you'll be back on the lanes sooner than you had thought... Hope so!
    Best of luck.
    Thanks everyone I appreciate it. I've actually been back on them pretty heavy the past couple weeks, at least 30 games of practice. I just got back from there with 2 of my kids. Shot 4 games with them, fingers and wrist taped up. It did help, I even had an extra rev or two than before. I'm determined to win some money this year if it kills me.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Update: The doc did put me on a two week steroid. The combination of that, some turmeric root tea (home remedy way better than Advil), taping my wrist and fingers and the therapy exercises has really revitalized me and shockingly quick! The last two days I have bowled 24 games virtually pain free! Well, my legs hurt like heck but that's just because my 47 yr old body is not used to it.

My release feels great, I'm not lofting anymore. I'm laying it down, throwing it nice and easy. I'm seeing more revs and ball reaction than I did in my 30's. Not to mention my accuracy. Today my son and I bowled 12 games together and I was just murdering the pins. All he kept saying was "What the heck?!" because every game I was stringing strikes and picking up spares. My lowest game of the day was a 209 which was the last one, I was pooped! Oddly I don't remember the highest one. LOL Now that I'm home, yeah my legs are stiffing up but my hand is in very little pain. Barely enough to worth mentioning.

I know the steroid is likely the main fix here. She said if they work she has a plan of attack but she will elaborate after she hears the results. Obviously it's not going to be more steroids so I'm curious. Guys.... I cannot even convey how happy I am right now! I was so miserable for so long, bowling with pain sucks the joy out of the game. It was an amazing feeling the past few days, today even more. After work tomorrow, I have to run up to my PSO so he could put vaccu-grips in both my balls. He says he can do it without a redrill and they came in today. After that, I'm picking up my son and we're gonna bowl a dozen more!! Once the wife gets some free space on her iPad I can upload the video of the "new me", can't wait for you guys to see the difference! Okay, done rambling but I'm just that excited!
    Bowling Center Manager

Wow dude, that is fantastic. And to think of how close you were to quitting forever.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Wow dude, that is fantastic. And to think of how close you were to quitting forever.
    I know right? It wouldn't have been by choice believe me. Without bowling in my life I wouldn't ever be truly happy again. I wasn't before after I stopped 10yrs ago but didn't realize bowling was part of the reason. Among other things of course. Life has been so much better this year and I owe it to this wonderful sport. Besides, I've gotten to know some of you folks as well, some more than others. Talking to people with my interests or even friends in general were lacking.

On top of it all to be able to pass the torch on to my son and see him doing so well is more than I could have ever hoped for.

We went yet again tonight but I had to quit after the 4th game. I'm just flat out fatigued and legs were wobbling all over the place. LOL I'm trying to keep up with my son but he's the damn energizer bunny. Plus my thumb was hanging up from being swollen and I popped a callus. I haven't had to use New Skin in 20 years. I didn't miss it either. We're going tomorrow morning one more time to bowl with my favorite Sunday regulars who I've always worked when they were there but never got to bowl with. After they leave at 3pm we are shutting down and I punch in to prep the lanes to start getting cut on Monday. We won't open again until Thursday so I get some time to recuperate. Of course when we open my son wants to be there to be the first to bowl on fresh cut lanes.
    Bowling Center Manager

High Roller

Awesome news. Just realized I hadn't been on here in about a week. I had a similar nerve test done on my arm several years ago. They hooked up electrodes near my shoulder and see if they can get my fingers to move. They did and I passed..lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Cranker

That's awesome news. Hopefully the doc has a permanent solution and this isn't an issue every again.

On a side note, I love vacu-grips. I developed a small knot on my middle finger and I asked my PSO about it and he recommended vacu-grips and what a difference. The fingers are so much more comfortable and you actually get a little more revs on the ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast