Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Choose Next Ball

Default How to Choose Next Ball

So I started bowling last year and after a couple weeks bought my first ball, a Storm Match-up Solid.... I also bought a plastic spare ball. Now coming into my second year of league I'd like to add another ball to my arsenal but no idea how to decide what ball or even type of ball to look at. Looking around different websites I just get overwhelmed at all the different options... and it doesn't help that I don't really understand all the specs.

Watching reviews on youtube of the match-up solid guys describe it as a good option for light to medium oil patterns and when the lane breaks down. Where I bowl in league, the guys there say that our THS is a little more challenging than most THS. So given that, I feel like I need a more aggressive ball.

If I were you, somehow you were guided to picking the Match Up Solid and the spare ball. Hopefully these decisions were done in concert with the pro shop operator/owner. If so, he may know how you've been doing or at least has an idea how you're bowling now. If not, go see that PSO and ask him to watch you throw a game or so. Then march into his shop and have him help you decide what ball(s) you should consider.
    When I got back into bowling after 20 years being absent, I found that my old rubber ball wasn't going to do anything like it did previously. My first reactive resin bowling ball was a Track 300T and it was similar in specifications to your Match Up Solid I think. It served me well for two or three years. I, too, thought I needed a more aggressive ball after a time. I went too far though I think, but it surely worked for me okay. Not great though.
    I'd suggest that you take baby steps. Consider going up to the Thunderline of Storm bowling balls or similarly spec'd balls from other companies.
    Good luck! Have fun!

Chats: 32

DJP is correct your bowling pro shop is usually the best destination for ball decisions. it would be hard to say no to a classic like the hy-road though
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Therein lies one of my bigger problems. I bowl at a small 10 lane alley with no real pro-shop to speak of. I got my first two balls drilled at an alley 30-min away but don't really want to go back there as he didn't drill them the same way so they feel different. I need to find a place where I can trust that the guy, or gal, knows what they're is doing.

Chats: 32

That would be an issue. What part of Missouri are you in? Might be someone close on here. I used to live in the St louis area. Most of Storms balls are more aggressive than the Match-Up so it basically depends on how much more you want and your style to answer the question. You might add which Match Up you have as well. They have multiple Match, Match up and others on the site.
    Last edited by Amyers; 08-01-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Here's a way to check on Pro Shops in your area: http://ibpsia.com/find-a-pro/find-a-...in-your-area/#
    Apparently there are only five pro shops certified in Missouri. Give it a shot.
    My pro shop guy isn't certified, but he's been the best for me.
    Good luck...

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I tend to buy balls that are different covers. So if I'm throwing a solid as my benchmark, I usually look for a shiny pearl to complement it. That way with the two different balls, you have 2 different ball reactions that can help cover the different lane conditions.

As for drilling, if you like how your current Match UP ball feels, you can buy a ball from here, bowlingball.com and ship them your ball. They'll copy the measurements and will drill any ball for you in the future with the same measurement. They'll even pay for the shipping to ship your ball to them. I've done that and I have to say every ball they've drilled for me has been spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Here's a way to check on Pro Shops in your area: http://ibpsia.com/find-a-pro/find-a-...in-your-area/#
    Apparently there are only five pro shops certified in Missouri. Give it a shot.
    My pro shop guy isn't certified, but he's been the best for me.
    Good luck...
    The one guy that's close to me I have been trying to get in contact with for months trying to get lessons. He initially responded to me back in April saying he would open up after the school year ended but he hasn't responded to multiple emails since. Pretty frustrating.

What do you mean??

I don't just go in the Pro Shop and say, "Gimmie the biggest hooking ball you got! Then, drill it to go long and snap hard at the end!"
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

"Looking around different websites I just get overwhelmed at all the different options... and it doesn't help that I don't really understand all the specs."

Since you don't have a PSO that you can trust, the only option you have is to learn to evaluate ball specs yourself. It's really not difficult. Subscribe to the Bowling This Month website. It's about $40 a year, and it will be the best $40 you ever spent. Look up articles on understanding bowling balls. My name is Rob Mautner, and I've written quite a few of them for BTM, and I think that they are pretty easy to understand. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast