Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Choose Next Ball

I totally agree, Rob!
    Bowling This Month is a great resource and it will help you to help yourself. There are lots of great books on bowling, too.
    The USBC has their bowling academy as well and here's a short video on the basics of selecting a bowling ball to suit your needs:
    https://www.usbcbowlingacademy.com/v...-needs-005549/

It's not rocket science, but there's plenty to learn about bowling balls, lanes, etc. It's been a fun journey so far for me. I've made some friends along the way and have met some excellent experts in the field of bowling. One of them is my pro shop operator and another is a full time coach.

Hope this helps...

Appreciate all the input folks. Made some phone calls and got in touch with a PSO wants to see me bowl. So hopefully I can met up with him in the next couple weeks.

So a duller ball is for players who throw the ball harder correct? I'm usually around 16-17 mph, so what surface should I be looking at?

Do the pros ever have two of the same ball just with a different surface in their arsenal? If not, then why not?

Chats: 32

You do generally need more speed for duller surfaces at your speed you should be fine throwing most surfaces. Generally the more surface the sooner the ball hooks on the front end and the less it hooks on the back.
    There are no generalities if speed is x throw surface y. It's more about when the ball starts to hook does it need to be sooner or later. RG of the ball plays a role to. The lower the RG the sooner the ball will start to hook. Pros do have different surfaces on the ball many are well known for throwing different surfaces.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

So what are scenarios where I want the ball to hook more on the front and less on the back? Is it just dependent on the length of the pattern? I will probably bowling on a THS 95% of the time if not more.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    So what are scenarios where I want the ball to hook more on the front and less on the back? Is it just dependent on the length of the pattern? I will probably bowling on a THS 95% of the time if not more.
    Most THS use a higher oil volume to prevent breakdown of the conditions. If you're using a Match Up Solid right now, and looking for something to go with it, there are a few things you have to consider.

1. What kind of motion are you wanting from the ball?
    2. What are you comfortable with when it comes to ball motion?

Obviously, a match up solid is a ball that isn't designed to be very aggressive, however, you can make it do some pretty incredible things. Personally, I like to play with surfaces and cores. If you're mainly just looking for a compliment to the Match Up Solid, I'd consider a few different balls if you're looking to stay in the Storm family.

1. Hy-Road. There is a reason this is the #1 selling ball of ALL TIME. It's VERY predictable, hybrid cover that reads the lanes well and because it has a thicker cover (less dense core), it hits like a truck.
    2. Rotogrip Winner (releases this week). They modified the Hot Shot core to lower the differential and increase overall hook. Something tells me this ball is going to be very close to what the Show Off does, which actually breaks late and hard for my taste.
    3. Rotogrip Hustle HYB. Don't underestimate this ball. This ball reads the lanes VERY well for being in the HP1 line and hooks a LOT.

Those are all going to have more "hook" than your matchup solid, not necessarily more "motion". The best option is to have a PSO check everything out and make a decision.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Thank you Chip! I was in your great state a couple of weeks ago. I drove all the way from Colorado through Wyoming up into Montana. Absolutely beautiful country!

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    Thank you Chip! I was in your great state a couple of weeks ago. I drove all the way from Colorado through Wyoming up into Montana. Absolutely beautiful country!
    It's pretty nice. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you. The PSO I use is actually 2.5 hours from me at Hill AFB just outside of Ogden, UT. Max Shellabarger has been treating me pretty well for a few years now.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12