Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right ball for wacky condition??

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Right ball for wacky condition??

I live in NYC and our bowling centers aren’t much for leagues. I found out that my usual league center only oils to 15 feet!!! Needless to say, I’ve found that my Track 300T is far too much ball. When I was a serious teen bowler in the 90s, a Black Enforcer was my strike ball of choice and I’d stand around 15 and throw 8-10, depending. What should I get to throw on this bone-dry condition?? I’m trying to convince the center that they should, at the very least, go with a standard recreational pattern, but I don’t think I’ll get terribly far.

Chats: 2

I think I'd be bowling at a different center lol. That is just asking to tear up not only the lanes, but also your own equipment.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 32

I know people who loft the ball farther than that lol. Plastic would be your only choice under those conditions. I agree with Chip find somewhere else
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

15 ft? Why even bother oiling at all? Are they trying to oil the whole house without using more than a shot glass of oil? That's not wacky, it's just flat out stupid. It's not shocking they have no league interest. With that little oil you'd be hard pressed to slap a hockey puck down the lane without it stopping before the pins.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I remember watching a women's professional stepladder that was being held outdoors in Vegas or Reno. The wind was blowing and there was so much sand and dust on the lanes even the slightest amount of rotation would cause the ball to over hook to the gutter. I think every bowler missed at least one single pin spare. That's kind of what I imagine bowling on a lane oiled to 15 ft would be like.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    15 ft? Why even bother oiling at all?.
    Just oiling 15' for league. most likely what they are doing is whats called a "headshot" which is a common practice at a lot of houses.

A headshot is where the lane has oil on it from a used pattern put down earlier, but instead of stripping and laying a fresh pattern for league. They just replenish the depleted head oil and leave whatever is there in the mids and backends as is.

So it wont be like a lane that only has 15' of head oil and the rest stripped dry. So depending on how many etc bowled on it earlier, it could be dry mids with carrydown, spotty etc.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-07-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Since I've only oiled lanes for 9 months that's a new one on me. I always learn something new here. We condition and oil every day and lay down 42' every time. It sounds like they are depending on carry down to provide the shot. I would think it wouldn't take all that long before the pin decks would get pretty saturated if they are just always adding oil. They probably chase down a lot of out of ranges. I hope they at least line and dust daily and change the ball wipes often or your hands and towel would be black. Our head mechanic would never let that fly, he'd tell the GM to go pound sand.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Just oiling 15' for league. most likely what they are doing is whats called a "headshot" which is a common practice at a lot of houses.

A headshot is where the lane has oil on it from a used pattern put down earlier, but instead of stripping and laying a fresh pattern for league. They just replenish the depleted head oil and leave whatever is there in the mids and backends as is.

So it wont be like a lane that only has 15' of head oil and the rest stripped dry. So depending on how many etc bowled on it earlier, it could be dry mids with carrydown, spotty etc.
    We call it a "short fill" at Ormond Lanes.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Cranker

Sounds like you bowl in Manhattan. Most of the centers in Manhattan hardly oil and they are really just bars that have lanes.

What is Bowling?

You’re right. But in addition to being a bowler, I’m a Broadway performer - and the Broadway Show League is at Frames, in Port Authority. For those who don’t know NYC, Port Authority is probably the biggest bus station in the world.

Regardless, it seems like a plastic ball drilled to my hand is probably the best option. Next question is surface. Polished? Got me a set of Abralon pads so I can do whatever I want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast