Thread: Release the Kraken!

Chats: 0

Default Release the Kraken!

I seen a bowling ball this morning made by "Monster Bowling Balls" called "The Kraken". Monster bowling balls? I found their website and it appears they have a line of 4 different balls. I never heard of this company before in my life and I seen no mention of it here. There seems to be a few of these little companies around and it makes me wonder how they survive against the big guys. I also wonder if they are USBC legal. I just found it interesting so I thought I'd mention it.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

So I just looked this up and they are indeed USBC legal, you can find the entire listing here https://www.bowl.com/approvedballlist/ .

What I will say about these smaller companies is that it is tough to have staying power against the major brands. First as I learned firsthand they cannot be used in PBA competition unless the company pays a fee to become a legal brand under PBA rules ( I was about to bowl a regional this year until I realized that I had two unapproved balls - a Jet Blackbird spare ball and a Pyramid Curse that I use as my benchmark ball [both are still legal under USBC]). Second is that a lot of pro shop operators do not know much about these brands and prefer to stick with brands they know when recommending products.

After researching as well I don't really see much of a price advantage - I have found the Kraken for $165, the Lochness for $150, and the Boogieman for $145 - which would lead most to just purchase a ball that they have a better assurance of quality.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I seen no mention of it here.
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...+bowling+balls

https://monster-bowling.com/

Monster is a small regional company, started by three guys around Syracuse with a small production (They only have 4 balls) and the balls were poured by Global last I heard.

Article about them:
    http://www.syracuse.com/bowling/inde..._industry.html

The name comes up on the other sites once in a blue moon, either by someone that just ran across them or possibly shilling for them trying to create buzz.

Looking at their Advisory Staff (The Monster Squad) application, It looks like they'd take just about anybody. They are trying to get interest going in the brand.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

So are these things worth buying or not? I have my eyes on a few from the major brands but I'm not opposed to branching out. I just don't want to get stuck with something that's a lemon or can't be used in some tournaments.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    So are these things worth buying or not? I have my eyes on a few from the major brands but I'm not opposed to branching out. I just don't want to get stuck with something that's a lemon or can't be used in some tournaments.
    I can’t vouch for how they will roll, but it looks like they would be legal in tournaments, unless you’re planning to do some PBA regionals.
    John

No likely to happen this year. I feel pretty good now but I can't say I'm 100% at my best just yet as far as my game goes. Lately I'll get a string of strikes going then throw it out the window getting 6 counts or yank it slamming it head on leaving big splits. I'm in no hurry to just be a money donor for the regionals. I got to get some things worked out first.
    Bowling Center Manager