Thread: My new favorite piece of equipment is ...

Thumbs up My new favorite piece of equipment is ...

...a bowling thumb sock.

Laugh at me, if you will but, after learning way too late about the downsides of gripping the ball too hard, not using tape (in the ball or on my thumb) and not touching base enough with my PSO about fit, I watched the calluses on the sides my thumb keep growing to match the size of my thumb hole. Basically, by the time I caught on, things seemed almost too far gone.

So, a few weeks back, I purchased some lycra thumb socks (I ended up getting 2 pairs for about $15). The first thing I noticed was that I needed more tape in my ball. I went from needing 1 piece of white tape in the front to 3 pieces in the front and 3 in the back. Today, I noticed that the callus on the outside of my thumb (I'm right handed) has really gone down and the one on the inside is starting to soften up, also. Fortunately, I have a Vise-It on my favorite balls so, when I get my next one drilled, I'll pick up a sleeve that's the next size down.

Now, I can finally get out of the ball comfortably and have the confidence to work on bettering my release.

Whodathunk that something that cost me about $3.75 (each) would end up being my most valuable piece of equipment.
    Last edited by jaypeesmith; 08-11-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Chats: 0

LMAO HE USES THUMB SOCKS! Sorry, couldn't resist. Are these socks like Robby's Thumb Savers? I considered those myself, having late timing on my release those may help. I've gotten better now that my hand feels better, I'm not as late as I was a few months ago but still late. The only callus I have is on my middle finger. I'm not too embarrassed to tape my wrist, fingers, use a glove and thumb saver. If it works I could care less how it looks. Not to mention, the price is attractive being that cheap.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I had similar issues until I started layering tape on the front of my thumb hole. It creates a more “oval” shape that lets my thumb clear nicely.

If you picture putting your thumb down flat against a pencil (lengthwise), the sides will hang over a bit, like a pillow. This is accommodated by putting tape in the middle of your gripping area.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    LMAO HE USES THUMB SOCKS! Sorry, couldn't resist. Are these socks like Robby's Thumb Savers? I considered those myself, having late timing on my release those may help. I've gotten better now that my hand feels better, I'm not as late as I was a few months ago but still late. The only callus I have is on my middle finger. I'm not too embarrassed to tape my wrist, fingers, use a glove and thumb saver. If it works I could care less how it looks. Not to mention, the price is attractive being that cheap.
    The ones I use are the BTS brand (I thought I saw where they do the ones for Brunswick, also). For me, it was about just getting out of the ball, period. I can't say how they might work in your case but, if you're not irritated or having release issues, you might be just fine. In my case, it's done wonders, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I had similar issues until I started layering tape on the front of my thumb hole. It creates a more “oval” shape that lets my thumb clear nicely.

If you picture putting your thumb down flat against a pencil (lengthwise), the sides will hang over a bit, like a pillow. This is accommodated by putting tape in the middle of your gripping area.
    If I had only joined earlier and gotten the chance to benefit from the experience of others, I would have saved myself a sore thumb and avoided a bout with tennis elbow. Thankfully, being here is teaching me not to repeat some of my previous mistakes.