Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you remember what bowling was like before you had a clue what you were doing?

Default Do you remember what bowling was like before you had a clue what you were doing?

I was thinking the other day about what a difference a year makes. Actually, less than a year for me. Outside of strike, spare, split and gutterball, I had no idea about most bowling terms. I didn't know about coverstocks, cores or weight blocks. I just thought that you buy a heavy ball, throw it as fast and as hard as you can and knock down pins.
    Heck, I didn't even know why people would own more than one ball.

Now, several months and several balls later, I look back and laugh. It's a cool journey so far.

Anybody else here go from being the occassional "house ball" bowler to being an avid bowler? If so, what do you remember about you life before becoming a "real" bowler?

I’ve been on the same journey since November. I can’t believe how much my knowledge of the game has increased.

I signed up for a league on a whim, and threw my back out in the first three shots. But I’m no quitter, and came back the next week. Now I’m on my second ball, and my average is nearing respectable levels.

I started out throwing a house ball straight at the middle of the rack.

Chats: 0

Since Jan when I joined here to now I've learned more about bowling than I knew my entire life. Part because of this board and the obvious which was getting a job at a bowling center. I learned a ton about the pinsetters and lanes themselves of course. USBC, rules, ball specs and all the things like rev rate, pap, axis tilt, flare and a 100 other things that I said months ago would never matter but now do.

I've also learned about the business end of things and how to run one. Now also being part of designing a new center from the ground up and eventually running it. Not to mention all the people here that I enjoy seeing the next thing they have to talk about or comments to my posts. Plus I'm told I make a killer Bloody Mary. My life has changed 1000% these past 8 months for the better and I owe it all to one thing. Friends that came in from out of town trying to figure out something to do on a cold January day and one of us said. "Hey, how about if we go bowling?" Bowling IS my life and not just the game and I couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 08-12-2018 at 04:35 AM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

JP, I've bowled in leagues from the time I was a youngster. Stopped bowling for 30 years and got back into it about 8 years ago.
    Yes, a nice 16 pound black ball, throw it hard, squeeze it till it hurt and fire it down the alley with as many revs as you can and knock the heck out of those pins.
    Just one ball and never use tape. Clean it in one of those machines at the alleys if it looked bad.
    Studied electrical engineering in college and helped folks make their machines work better than ever before using motion control equipment. Sized up motors to match their mechanics and performance. So a lot of these technical specifications on bowling balls make some sense to me as I dealt with inertia and friction, radius of gyration, etc.
    I've taken my knowledge to another level in bowling and have learned a lot over these past few years. It's been fun and still learning. It's just as good a hobby as I've ever had.
    Am I a real bowler? Don't know about that. I just do it and do my best each and every time I show up for league...
    Good luck...

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Am I a real bowler? Don't know about that. I just do it and do my best each and every time I show up for league...
    Sounds like my definition of a real bowler.
    John

High Roller

I have been bowling in leagues since 5th grade except for a 16 year break from 2002 to 2018 due to an injury. During that time I really didn't bowl at all, either for fun or league. I really don't remember ever using a house ball except for the few times I went in that 16 year span. Pretty much my whole bowling life has been leagues and always had my own equipment.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowler

Me too! Since November. My average has gone from 185 to205 in less than a year with some real professional lessons and having another strike ball at my disposal for the first time. I bowled at a different center in the fall and used a different ball. I did pretty good before but now I know sometimes it wasn't me it was my ball that was causing me to struggle. I found when my back swing got too high it drifted to the right. I lowered that and have been throwing more with my legs. Also learned how to shoot spares properly and practiced it.

Cranker

There are days I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. =P

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    There are days I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. =P
    I know that feeling well.

Chats: 1

I started bowling when you had one ball. My first ball was a Brunswick Black Diamond (hard rubber). It has been a long journey since then.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast