Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current State of Bowling as a sport?

Chats: 0

Bowl1820, Rob? Any input? I'm curious on your guy's take on the OP.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Pin Crusher

We're getting a brand new bowling alley here in Milwaukee. one of those "Round 1" sports and entertainment thingies. Not sure what that is, but I bet it's the first new center round here in over 40 years....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Chats: 55

I think a lot of our decline here in the West is two-fold (or more). Younger people with careers, family, and such don't want to make the "commitment". When we try and solicit new bowlers they freak-out that it is going to be every week for 34-36 weeks. Same day, same time, same amount of money, each and every week is just more than they can handle. Also, the commitment to spend the money bowling - $15-$25 a week for that many weeks puts a dent in most budgets unless you're an avid bowler.

In addition to this, we are being serviced by a capitalist movement as 90%+ of our alleys are owned by Bowlmor. They don't care about the league bowlers so our membership keeps declining year after year. Only going to get worse as they remodel the alleys to be their "entertainment" centers.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

I know I am cautious about joining a team if I don't know if they have access to a number of possible subs. Unfortunately the last league I did I actually had to quit because my hours got switched to nights for 3 months.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Speaking from my personal experience, I still bowl in two leagues during the fall (one of those being with my wife) but to do any more than that is in a sense maxing out my time. If you take a typical 8-5 employee and they bowl two nights out of the week that is pretty much two entire days that are committed every week for the 34-36 weeks of league. If you have young kids this leaves you with the option of bringing them to the alley where you are either giving them attention or giving your team attention - and that doesn't take into consideration potential school/homework requirements as well as their extra curricular activities. This doesn't include other things like gym time, spending nights out with friends who don't bowl, one-time events (concerts/sporting events), meet-ups, etc.

I would compare this to the issue that many cable television networks are facing. It isn't that the sport has necessarily changed, it is that the opportunity for other activities have spread out the participation pool to a certain degree.

Lastly, the mix of bowlers in a league can be an underrated deterrent as well. The league I bowl in with my wife has a few teams that are simply miserable to bowl against - a few have attitude issues which they will always try and shift onto others and some teams are just painfully slow (there are nights you are there until 10:30 pm simply because you are matched up with them).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

High Roller

We lost 3 guys on our team (net 2 because I joined mid season). One left because of age and surgeries/injuries. One left because he was going to join a different team but now I hear that team won't be back and he hasn't responded to our texts and our captain is leaving because of work. We did pick up one new member that was on a different team last year but we are still short a member. Been asking around our summer league and everyone is either already bowling Tuesday nights or can't make it because of other obligations. We are going to keep our captain on the team as a backup because he said he could pre-bowl if we need him to but still need a 5th full time member.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowler

There is now only one summer league..mine. that has 4 per team...plus the adult child one. There used be 2 teen summer leagues 20 yrs ago. I don't see those now. There are definitely more options out there now but I also see girls getting inspired by there dads to take up bowling especially since there is more scholarship money possible. I only won $300 when I was a teenager. That paid for some books.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12