Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Approaches...

Chats: 0

Default Approaches...

I was surprised to see after we had the lanes done that the they didn't put anything on the approaches. I figured there was some sort of finish that they put on them. All they did was hit it with a floor sander then a buffing pad made out of like a scotch brite pad material on a floor buffer. After that it was swept, vacuumed and damp mopped. It's merely bare wood. I guess the shine comes from use?
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Someone did ask how often we oil the approaches. LOL Great just great, as if we didn't have enough to think about when getting ready to bowl. Now we have to wonder what pattern is laid down on the approaches too!
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I’m very surprised that there isn’t some kind of varnish or sealant on them.

I wasn't there the entire time when they did the finish on the lanes. The next day when I went in there was still sawdust on the approach. When I was down there putting the end caps, foul lights and ball returns back in the only thing I seen was some glue in spots but nothing that appeared to be a sealer. Being up close and personal they appear to be just bare smoothly sanded wood. That's what they felt like the first game I bowled on them too. I can't say I ever felt that before. Good thing I don't slide much because it would be difficult. I did almost face plant the first ball I threw and so did my son LOL Now that nearly a week has gone by they are getting smoother. Thinking about it now, maybe I shouldn't bowl on them for a bit or my shoes will get worn down quickly?
    Bowling Center Manager

Chats: 4

Hmmmm if I remember correctly back when we had the wood lanes and
    wooden approaches when they cut the lanes and refinished them they also
    refinished the approaches and put a shiny finish on the approaches also.

I would 1000 times rather have the wooden approaches as too have the
    synthetic approaches we have now I just can not get the slide like I use
    to get with wooden ones.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    I just can not get the slide like I use
    to get with wooden ones.
    Agree 1000 percent

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post

I would 1000 times rather have the wooden approaches as too have the
    synthetic approaches we have now I just can not get the slide like I use
    to get with wooden ones.
    The house I bowl has synthetic lanes and wood approaches. This is by far my preference. The same family owns another house that is all synthetic. It's okay in fall and winter, but if you ever go there on a humid day, beware!
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

I confirmed with the head mechanic that the approaches where I work were just sanded, then buffed with that scotch brite pad wheel like I said. I guess I didn't miss anything. Nothing was put on them, no kind of sealer or anything. I will say they are super easy to clean now. Found some dried up soda foot prints on there today. A little approach cleaner spray and a rag and it was gone, good as new.

Since I have a very short slide almost none, always have always will I never had any problem with any approaches per say. Yeah of course when stepping in something I'll still take a header. Kinda like I did when that buttface spilled beer under my chair a few months back soaking my shoes and I didn't notice until I was kissing the end cap.
    Bowling Center Manager

That exposed wood is going to be extremely delicate. Any spill will stain it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    That exposed wood is going to be extremely delicate. Any spill will stain it.
    You would think that but it easily wipes clean. It's pretty easy to see foreign gunk on them with the black lights on because it lights up, kinda like police find DNA at a crime scene. Hopefully on the approaches it stays limited to spills and everyone keeps their DNA to themselves. =)
    Bowling Center Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast