Thread: new 3 ounce rule

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default new 3 ounce rule

Isn't the new rule of 3 ounces of side, and finger weight going to make balls hook too much?

Chats: 32

From what I have heard from my drilling friends is that a P4 hole and 3 oz. of side weight the 3oz will effect ball motion much less.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 256

I am not very technical when it comes to drill layouts, but from what I am understanding, balls will flare less without the weight holes. My next ball I plan on getting drilled per Aug 2020 specs to see how much of a difference it will make for my own game.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

In the USBC's original ball motion study, they concluded that static weights had less of an effect on ball motion than the ambient temperature in the bowling alley. When weight holes are drilled they can greatly affect the static weights. Increasing the static weights to 3 oz. in combination with eliminating weight holes will make balls hook less, not more.

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    in combination with eliminating weight holes will make balls hook less, not more.
    I completely agree with that Rob as I had one ball that we drilled without a weight hole and
    then we went back in after a few frames and drilled a weight hole in it and on the same lane
    it hooked quite a few boards more than it did before the hole was put in it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 1

Storm has a video out on youtube about this subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9zahj7etws&t=206s . Bowling This Month also had an article with a lot of info about the effects of eliminating balance holes.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums