Thread: Picking up a 7 pin

Chats: 0

Default Picking up a 7 pin

I've always gone at 7 pins cross lane by simply moving 7 boards right and throwing over my strike target. It works and I rarely miss it doing it this way, I've always been pretty good at both corner pins. However, I'm thinking about taking more of a straighter approach rather than cross lane. I don't see pro's doing it often and they shoot at it more from the middle of the lane with a spare ball which seem to give you less chance of missing it since you're cutting down on the angle. I'm trying to find a tutorial video that explains it. Something on where to stand and where to target. Bowl1820, any videos?
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Rob wrote an article in Bowling This Month on Sept. 14, 2014. He shows a few photos of a lane from above and very good photos I might add. However, you'll have to first determine where you lay your ball down with respect to where you stand. Once you've determined that, then you can use his photos of the lane. Keeping it simple walk straight. In my case I use an offset of 11 boards from my slide foot and where the ball lays on the alley. Rob picked a target of the 3rd arrow (board 15) and his photo shows that you should lay the ball down on board 8 to hit the 7-pin dead on.
    So in my case using his target I should stand on board 19 and target the 3rd arrow using a plastic ball or perhaps a very less aggressive urethane ball.
    Of course, you could choose to use some other target to suit your taste. Perhaps use board 20 instead. His lane photos are pretty good if you convert his article to a PDF and then you might be able to drawing some lines on it to use for your own purposes.
    The name of the article is "Buddy, can you spare a dime?"
    Hope this helps...

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I have been having an issue with the 10 pin (lefty so 7 for you). I miss it more than I miss the 7 (which is alot). Weird, huh? Anyway, I can't move any further left or I'd be right over the gutter. I stand on about board 7 and throw over 5 (probably closer to 7 but I aim for 5). So I stay in my same spot and throw about board 13. I usually miss so tried to move the the right side like you mentioned and missed again and my teammate yelled at me and asked why I was changing it up...lol. I am getting better with my 10's and still going cross alley but still considering trying a more straight approach.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

To reemphasize the target picked was the 3rd arrow. By rolling the ball over board 8 that's 7 boards to the right of the target at the foul line. If you throw it straight, it'll hit board 22 half way down the lane and board 29 3/4's down the lane. At 60 feet the ball should be rolling over board 36. It only has another 3 feet to go to hit the 7 pin sitting on about board 37.
    Without much thinking you should be able to move your feet to the left two boards and target that 3rd arrow again to hit the 4-pin dead on. Let's see.
    Now you'll be rolling the ball over board 10 which is 5 boards to the left of the target. The ball will then progress to board 20 half way down the lane and board 25 3/4's down the lane. At 60 feet it'll be at board 30 with just a couple of feet to go to hit the 4-pin sitting on board 31. By golly you're ball is right there!