Thread: Why would a Staffer approach my son?

Chats: 0

Default Why would a Staffer approach my son?

My son came to work with me tonight to bowl, I was working. There was a guy bowling by him and he was watching him and complimenting him for nice spares, strikes and what not. I was pretty slammed at work because I was alone, had no pin chaser, no mechanic and the GM went home for the day. I was busy all night. My son came up to me and said the guy was giving him a lot of compliments. He wasn't a creep or anything so I wasn't concerned. At least he didn't seem to be, I see my share of creeps believe me. The guy new I was his dad because my son told him. He never really said anything to me personally except when he was closing out his lane, he mentioned my son was a great little bowler. I replied "Thank you", he paid and left.

I found out after he left and things slowed down, my son told me the guy gave him his card and said he'd love to have him on staff for Lane Masters. I've only heard of Lane Masters on here, never so much as seen a ball in real life. My question is, why in the hell would they want a 13 yr old on as a staffer? What would it even mean for a 13 year old to be a staffer? The whole thing sounds a little off to me somehow. What would be in it for them? Also, what would be in it for my son? Should I call this dude up tomorrow and tell him to f off and stay away from my son or is this something that I should be excited about? My gutt just thinks this guy should have come to me first and it's some sort of scam

I'll be honest, I don't really know all that's entailed in being a staffer. What they do, what it means. Is it like being sponsored? If not, what's the difference? I need help from the guys on here that know about this stuff so I know what to do next.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

That... is weird. It’s possible they’re doing a youth league promotion of some kind, but I’d keep my eyes open.

Pin Crusher

Call the company and find out whats going on.

I know of several talented junior bowlers who are "staffers" for different companies. I'm not sure of all the particulars, but basically it means that the bowler get bowling balls free or almost free. If you think about it, just because of your comment that you've never even seen a Lane Masters ball, it makes perfect sense for the company to want to recruit a youth staffer to try and influence other youth bowlers to use their bowling balls. It's called marketing!

So if he did this he'd get Lane Master balls cheap or free. I wonder what the restrictions are like is Lane Masters the ONLY ball he could throw then?

I still didn't appreciate the guy approaching him about it behind my back. Good intentions maybe but bad form IMO
    Last edited by Phonetek; 08-18-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    So if he did this he'd get Lane Master balls cheap or free. I wonder what the restrictions are like is Lane Masters the ONLY ball he could throw then?

I still didn't appreciate the guy approaching him about it behind my back. Good intentions maybe but bad form IMO
    I agree that approaching your son directly was very bad form, and yes, a Staffer can only use equipment under the umbrella of the manufacturer.

generally if you're on staff, you can't throw other brands as part of the contract.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    So if he did this he'd get Lane Master balls cheap or free.
    No, Staffing doesn't exactly work that way. The majority of "STAFFERS" do not get free bowling balls, you have to be at a higher tier in the system to get that. You got to be able show you can move some product. Like Be A PSO that's doing some volume, Someone doing the tournaments/tour or doing leagues that's really doing something, that gets them noticed etc.

The low level guys at best a get a discount (maybe a good one or just okay discount depends on company), Some staff positions you could just buy your way in.

Plus most all staff positions you have to use just that companies equipment, which depending on your game you might not match up with that companies equipment or at last not all of it.

As for whats going on with your kid and this guy, you need to talk to the guy about it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    No, Staffing doesn't exactly work that way. The majority of "STAFFERS" do not get free bowling balls, you have to be at a higher tier in the system to get that. You got to be able show you can move some product. Like Be A PSO that's doing some volume, Someone doing the tournaments/tour or doing leagues that's really doing something, that gets them noticed etc.

The low level guys at best a get a discount (maybe a good one or just okay discount depends on company), Some staff positions you could just buy your way in.

Plus most all staff positions you have to use just that companies equipment, which depending on your game you might not match up with that companies equipment or at last not all of it.

As for whats going on with your kid and this guy, you need to talk to the guy about it.
    I think I'd be a little more excited if it was a company that I actually knew the equipment or at least seen before. Lane Masters though? I'm on the fence about it. If it wasn't for this forum I'd have NEVER heard of them before. It kinda reminds me of the days of the Pin Breaker. On your advice I'll give the guy a call and see what he has to say, it's not like I have anything to lose and it's just a phone call. For my son, he's going to own 100 bowling balls over the years I don't know if building his arsenal on one limited label is really the way to go at this time. I'm not closed minded so I'll hear the guy out, at least to smack him upside the head for not coming to me first before approaching my son.
    Bowling Center Manager