Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made a guys day today

Chats: 0

Default I made a guys day today

There was a family bowling tonight. They were all very nice people. The middle aged woman came up to the bar and asked me what she should drink. I made a suggestion for her and she loved what I gave her. She raved about it. A little later I came down to check on them to see if they needed anything like I always do. She ordered something, don't remember what. I asked if it was on the same tab. She said yeah. She said it was her dads birthday today. I said in a joking tone "You're making Dad pay for everything on his birthday!?" Of course not she said. I turned to him said "How young are ya today?" He said "79". I said what's your name? He said "George" I said "Happy Birthday George, I'm glad you came here to spend it with us".

I went to the counter and grabbed the mic and announced "Attention everyone, I'd like everyone to wish George on lane 12 a happy 79th birthday today, stand up George" The whole place clapped and whistled and yelled congratulations. Many came down to shake his hand. I looked over and smiled and he waved for me to come over. The guy had tears in his eyes and said "That's the most awesome thing that anyone has every done for me, thank you for doing that. I've never felt more welcome and special." The guy almost had me tearing up. It was such a small little thing and it's funny how it meant so much. His daughter said he's gonna be talking about that for a long time. Now do you guys see why I love this job? Nothing else I have ever done compares. I never really announced anyone's birthday before but I guess I need to do that more often. It was cool so I thought I'd share.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 08-18-2018 at 01:35 AM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Nice touch, man.

Pin Crusher

That is nice. I am sec. of our Friday league. I put the birthday boys on the sheet every week. But the thing I do every year is on Veterans Day week I have all the vets go out on the approaches before practice and have everyone give them a hand of appreciation. Last year out of the 120 bowlers present there were only 6-7 who served.

High Roller

That's awesome! Feels good too. A few months ago me and my wife were at Cracker Barrel. There was an older couple around the corner that had a WWII hat on. I told my wife we were going to pay for their food but I didn't want to let them know. In the end I had to let him know we paid it because he started arguing with his wife about paying it...lol. She kept telling him it was paid and he was arguing with her...lol. Anyway, turns out he was a POW. Felt really good to do something like that. Something I will remember and hope he does too.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    that's awesome! Feels good too. A few months ago me and my wife were at cracker barrel. There was an older couple around the corner that had a wwii hat on. I told my wife we were going to pay for their food but i didn't want to let them know. In the end i had to let him know we paid it because he started arguing with his wife about paying it...lol. She kept telling him it was paid and he was arguing with her...lol. Anyway, turns out he was a pow. Felt really good to do something like that. Something i will remember and hope he does too.
    that is absolutely awsome!

It just goes to show and these are only a few examples, the little things can make a difference to the right people. It's like when your driving, you let someone squeeze in by waving them in. Some people wave back and or say thank you, others just barrel out there and don't bother to acknowledge you. (I always wave back)

Only problem with me getting on the mic at work for the various reasons I use it and I use it often....I always have to try very hard holding back from shifting from the reason I actually grabbed the mic to a stand up routine. LOL You'd be surprised how much material one can come up with just watching bowlers. On a weekend I could probably fill 30 minutes without trying. =)
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    It just goes to show and these are only a few examples, the little things can make a difference to the right people. It's like when your driving, you let someone squeeze in by waving them in. Some people wave back and or say thank you, others just barrel out there and don't bother to acknowledge you. (I always wave back)

Only problem with me getting on the mic at work for the various reasons I use it and I use it often....I always have to try very hard holding back from shifting from the reason I actually grabbed the mic to a stand up routine. LOL You'd be surprised how much material one can come up with just watching bowlers. On a weekend I could probably fill 30 minutes without trying. =)
    Try it out one night, using open bowling, and gauge the reaction. Might be a new gimmick that sells.

*during open bowling*

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    that is absolutely awsome!
    Thanks. My great uncle was a staff sergeant in the Army at Pearl Harbor the day it was hit. He was blown out of his Jeep and down over a hill. He was hit with schrapnel but helped his friend back up the hill. He turned 100 in April and is still going strong. To me he is a true hero. He healed up and returned to active duty. I also work for the VA. I never served but appreciate those that have. Actually I work for a company that has a contract with the VA so I'm not a VA employee but still work with VA employees every day and many of them are veterans. I am proud to say that I do what I can to serve those that have served.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Try it out one night, using open bowling, and gauge the reaction. Might be a new gimmick that sells.
    What, doing a stand up routine? I've done it a couple times on our open mic night. We have another one coming up I think in October. Problem is the mics we use in the bowling alley suck, they cut out all the time. You really have to talk fast and keep talking, when you pause they cut out. If you have a higher tone voice they cut out or don't pick it up at all.

Fortunately I have a rather deep voice and my "radio voice" is even deeper so I don't have much problem with it picking me up. I did have a radio DJ at an event who I was talking to tell me I should be in broadcasting. Maybe I missed my calling. When I was a phone tech I had to do the "You're call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance and training purposes" all the time as well as "For blah blah blah, press 1" and so on for hundreds of telephone systems. Speaking in a mic, even in front of people doesn't bother me a bit. I don't know about doing stand up for open bowlers though, I think it would be more corny than a good gimmick. Plus if I had to do it all the time, I'd have to come up with so much material! I'm much better at improv on the spot. LOL My best stuff isn't exactly "G" rated either.
    Bowling Center Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast