Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now I know why I fix my own vehicles

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Not all car repair shops are crooks.
    I agree with that 100%. The mom and pop small independent shops you have a better chance of getting honest work. I had a guy who unfortunately isn't around anymore (passed away) that did great work at a fair price. He was NOT a parts changer, he fixed what was wrong and that's that. The small guys have to build a rep to stay alive. Whenever I brought a car in it was always something relatively straight forward and simple. If it was something that cost a thousand bucks it was a thousand bucks legit. Take the same car to a dealer it's triple and a parts list longer than my posts. Sadly I don't know any mom and pops out here in this area. It's a snooty community. Most of the people around here buy new cars every 5 years. Nothing but 2010 and newer on my block besides mine unless it's a classic show car.

I don't know why my father in law prefers dealers but we're doing what he said. Just because he wants to foot the bill I'm not going to them try to pull something like they did this morning. It's his money but I'm not going to let them bilk him that's for darn sure. $5300 bucks, they can bite me.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Had another incident back around 1988. Had a 1985 S10 Blazer I bought from them a few months earlier and it was under warranty. Engine had a miss. Took it over and dropped it off. They called later in the day and said to come and pick it up. I get there and ask what the problem was. They said they couldn't find anything wrong. I asked if they hooked it to their computers and he said no, the mechanic drove it around the block and sprayed water on the engine. Then tried to charge me $27...lol.

Same dealer a year earlier I ordered a brand new 1987 Camaro IROC Z from them with the 5.7 TPI (Corvette engine). It was the first year for the 350 in the IROC. I gave them a deposit around October 1986. They did tell me it would be awhile because they were building all the 5.0 cars first. I kept checking in and around February they said they still hadn't started building the 5.7's yet. Called another Chevy dealer and he had one on the lot and one on the way there. I got my deposit and went to the other dealer.

About 1998 I was buying a newer F250. Went to one dealer and they had a 1997. Talked to the sales manager and got some numbers. Went to a different dealer and looked at another one. Went back to the first dealer the next day and talked to the salesperson. Told them to knock another $500 off and they have a deal. She called the sales manager at home and he ok'd the deal. I signed papers and gave a deposit. I was headed to my bank the next morning to get the money and the salesperson called me and said 'we have a problem'. The manager didn't realize who I was or my trade in and when the salesperson told him he decided he couldn't do the extra $500. I reminded them that I had signed papers and gave a deposit and that my attorney would be happy to call them. She came back and said 'ok, come get your truck'. I told them to stick it and rip up my deposit check. I went to the 2nd dealer and bought the other truck. A few days later I got a card in the mail from them apologizing and a few days later got my check back in the mail.

I have bought several new cars in my life and have had some very good experiences too so they aren't all bad but these were my dealership horror stories.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

And there it is! I got the call!
    "Mr. Phonetek, it appears your U-joints are bad and unfortunately they are non-serviceable so we need to install a new drive shaft and that's going to be an additional $1,250" LOL Did I call it or did I call it?

My response, "One more phone call insulting my intelligence, I'm coming in there signing a waver of insurance and fixing the truck myself."

Service guy "What do you mean?"

Me "I mean, that YES they ARE serviceable but you have to use the forbidden torch to remove and change the U-joints and it takes about 25 minutes to do and about $40. The torch melts the plastic that holds them in since they don't have snap rings hence releasing them. If you don't believe me then perhaps you need to have your mechanics sit in a room watching Youtube for training for a day, it certainly couldn't hurt. I'm sure there has to be a video on it somewhere."

Him "I wasn't aware of that"

Me "I'm sure you weren't, nor were the many people who payed for an entire drive shaft for nothing"

Him "So that's a no on the new drive shaft?"

Me SMH "That's correct, leave it alone I'll do them when it's home. Once again, just change the brake lines!" OMG These people, I swear. I can only wonder what's next.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I can only wonder what's next.
    It probably will be something like "Mr. Phonetek" you have a reverse wobbler shaft
    that has came loose from the dillafrat connector that controls the dohenkie. LOL!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    It probably will be something like "Mr. Phonetek" you have a reverse wobbler shaft
    that has came loose from the dillafrat connector that controls the dohenkie. LOL!!!
    LOL It wouldn't shock me. Maybe they will tell me the tires are low because my hubcap gaskets are leaking?

That reminds me of this nice elderly lady that used to come to the tire shop I worked in after high school. She used to come in twice a year. She said "I'm here to have the winter air changed out of my tires to put in spring air" LOL We would pull her car in and put it on the rack for about 15 minutes check the pressure. Pull it back out "Okay, your all set, free of charge" She'd come back in fall to have us do the same only she said she wanted us to "Winterize her tires" LOL You gotta love it. It was certainly quicker than explaining to her that air is air.
    Bowling Center Manager

High Roller

OMG! WOW. unreal
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

How long before they notice that your right rear blinker fluid reservoir is running low? That can lead to a driver's side window actuator failure, if it hasn't already, and we all know how expensive that can be to fix.
    -Dave

In the bag: DynoThane Vendetta, PBS Planet Earth, Brunswick TZone

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Bowler View Post
    How long before they notice that your right rear blinker fluid reservoir is running low? That can lead to a driver's side window actuator failure, if it hasn't already, and we all know how expensive that can be to fix.
    Don't forget to have them replace your muffler bearings while they're under there....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Got my truck back today. All I can say is that she stops when I hit the brakes now. Funny, they ended up only doing the brake lines imagine that. They didn't have to change the calipers, fuel lines, drive shaft and the other list of things they said they'd "Have to replace". They did change the bleeder screws on the calipers because the mechanic stripped them so badly. So $250 worth of brake lines and $4 worth of bleeder screws but $1800 in labor. They did a "complimentary" tire repair because I had a nail in it which was true. All and all I can't complain in the end it was a labor intensive job. I just don't think it's right that I had to babysit them so they just didn't change a bunch of parts willy nilly that didn't need to be replaced. $2,100 is a big difference from $5,300! But hey, they did detail it before I got it back too. Too bad it's raining today but I'm happy to have the ol girl back.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 08-24-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Bowling Center Manager

High Roller

Well they must have found their torch!
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast