Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did something really dumb tonight (bad cut on thumb)

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default Did something really dumb tonight (bad cut on thumb)

So tonight I was cutting a hose for my boat and using a brand new knife. I do this all the time but usually the knife isn't this sharp. That knife went straight through the hose and into my thumb. It is a 'V' shaped cut with each leg of the V about 1/4" long (maybe slightly longer). Not real deep but it bled like crazy. Had blood all through the sink and all over the countertop, dripped down the cabinets. ugh...
    So anyway, I have to bowl in the championship Tuesday night. Any tips? Already have neosporin and a band aid on it. Nu-skin? Super Glue? Bowlers tape?
    The pain and discomfort will be fine. The cut is oriented so that putting my thumb in the ball will pull against it but the ball coming off my thumb will be going with the cut so that's a good thing.

Think it will be healed by Tuesday night? Or put some bowlers tape on it to keep the skin from ripping open? I have never used tape on my thumb or in my ball. Ever.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

NuSkin with cotton or those little patch thingies that come with it but it's gonna hurt like a son of a.... when you first put it on for about 30 seconds if the wound isn't scabbed over. If it's coated well enough, you should be able to get through your games.

I hope you cleaned the kitchen up with all that blood before your other half got home. Sounds like a murder scene in there.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Thanks. Don't think it will 'scab'. It's more of a filet type of cut. When I got the bleeding to stop you really couldn't even see it. I'm thinking that will make it heal better and faster?

Our marina had a party last night and we just bought this boat last week. The fresh water system isn't working so have no running water (which is what I was working on). Wife walked up to the marina because they were getting ready to serve food so I decided to stay and finish this job. So a few minutes later the boat looks like a crime scene. I finally got the bleeding to stop and got a band-aid on it but my shirt was soaked with water. Walked up to the marina and wife asks why my shirt was wet....lol. So after we ate she cleaned up the crime scene....lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Most pro shops that I'm familiar with carry the Vise HADA tape and it's primarily for protecting your thumb. Typically the rounded end should be placed on the thumbnail and then to cover the back of the thumb. I don't see where you stated where the cut was. Perhaps I'm blind... You can likely make the HADA tape work for you as it doesn't seem to take away from the size of the thumb hole. Or if it does, I can't tell. Protect the injury and hope you do well.
    Good luck...

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I'm still trying to figure out how you cut the thumb of the hand you bowl with.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Thanks. Don't think it will 'scab'. It's more of a filet type of cut. When I got the bleeding to stop you really couldn't even see it. I'm thinking that will make it heal better and faster?
    You "fillet" a fish, not your hand. With a name like Boatman you should know that! LOL From now on, no more sharp objects for you! I'm going to message Boatwoman now to tell her!
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Funny thing is we were at the marina today and one of the guys came up holding a piece of ABS pipe and asked me if I had a saw or something to cut it with. I held up my thumb and said no but I have a pretty sharp knife...lol. He asked what happened. Timing couldn't have been better for that one.

The cut is on the inside edge of my thumb. If you hold your thumb and finger together side by side (parallel) it is the edge that touches your finger. It is just slightly higher than the thumbnail just before the first knuckle on my thumb (actually about at that knuckle). Unfortunately it is probably about where I would have the most pressure on it.

Pretty sure I will be ok but this is the summer league championship bracket. We could bowl up to 8 games. It is also the first night of our fall league so I pre-bowled the other night for that. The summer league is 2 man teams but we have 3 of us and have been using a rotation. I called the teammate that is supposed to be sitting out this week (he will be bowling the fall league that night. The center is closed today and tomorrow so if I can't make it then he will either have to get there right after work and pre-bowl for the fall league then bowl for me in the tourney. Or we use a dummy score for him for the fall league or we have my step-son fill in (trying to get him on the team anyway but he went with me the other night and had an 88, 87, and 77. But he was using a house ball that didn't fit him and was getting frustrated and throwing about 20 MPH.

I'll let everyone know what happens.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

Well put my thumb in the ball with no bandage or tape and it doesn't really hit right on the cut so that should help but my thumb is a little swollen and was pretty tight. Hopefully the swelling goes down by tomorrow. If not I will take the Brunswick Rhino that I rarely use and have the PSO open up the thumb hole a little and in the future I will just put tape in it. I rarely use it because it went too straight but I hit it with a 2000 CTD pad last week and it has a little arc to it now. But ideally the swelling goes down and I will be ok with the thumbholes.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

If it's too swollen, try the towel trick. Lay the towel over the ball covering the thumb hole. Jam your thumb in the hole with the towel a few times. It will shrink it down some. Results vary but it works in a pinch, sometimes it lasts a few balls or a whole game. If it swells back up, then repeat. It should get you through. I'd still try some Nuskin just to seal the wound, you don't want to bleed all over the lanes.
    Bowling Center Manager

Towel? How about a hankerchief?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast