Thread: Should I stay or should I go - article...

Default Should I stay or should I go - article...

This is for Rob.
    I was reading your article about balling down rather than making lateral moves and came to the last paragraph.
    You said to have someone watch you to see where you lay the ball down. Then practice using this laydown point as your target, rather than targeting at the arrows, the dots, or farther down the lane. Practice with your feet two boards left of your comfort zone and your laydown point target is a board more left.
    I guess I'm blind or unwilling to understand the idea of using the laydown point as my target.
    When I came back to this sport, I bought my first reactive resin ball. I found that it actually hooked for me.
    I recall standing on board 15 while targeting board 5 or so to get it to come back at least near the pocket. I was happy at that time and used that for probably a couple of years of senior league activity. The ball was a matte finish ball with low differential and medium Rg.
    Bought a Hy-Road next and loved it from the beginning; however, somehow I found that I was now standing around board 22 or 23 and targeting board 8 or 9 at the arrows. Today most times I'm finding myself standing around board 27 or 28 and targeting around board 12 or 13 at the dots and my laydown point is nearly 11 boards to the right of my slide foot.
    So I've migrated quite a bit to the left and even go more when encountering transition. I'm supposing that I've accomplished what you meant by opening myself up to new territory outside of a previous comfort zone. You suppose? Maybe I've already done what your article indicates.
    I've found that if there is significant transition I'll go to a less aggressive ball and it turns into a hook monster for me while I stay quite a bit left and toss it out toward the right. It sure looks nice when a less expensive ball works like magic...

The idea of using the laydown point as a target is an exercise. It is used for two reasons. First, by using the laydown point as your target, you can make sure that you haven't simply moved your feet left and walked more right. More importantly, it is to make sure that you are staying behind the ball, and not coming around it early in an attempt to "get it back." With your laydown point 11 boards to the right of your slide foot, it seems like this is probably what's happening. Simply opening up your angles should not cause an big change in your laydown point. Try the exercise. I think that it will be an eye-opener for you.

By the way, as you probably know, since last summer, I've been using nothing but a plastic spare ball for all of my bowling (T-Zone... no core). Since then, I have enjoyed bowling more than I have in many years. When I throw the occasional 600 series now, I've done something! So, I know exactly what you mean about the lure of a less expensive ball that works like magic.

Rob
    Last edited by RobLV1; 08-27-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks Rob. I use my slide foot for lining up and use my big toe as a guide. I do my best to walk straight on every shot I take. When I line up on board 27 or 28, that's where I typically slide.
    I've taken quite a few lessons from a fellow who does this for a living. He's never focused on my cadence or foot work, but has complimented me on it.
    I do my best to stay behind the ball. Recently I've been paying attention to the weight of the ball sitting on the left side of the base of my index finger (looking at the hand from the palm up) and pointing my index finger towards the pins throughout the swing.
    Yes, I've kept up with a bit of what you've dealt with and now using a plastic ball. My PSO used to throw plastic only and carried an average of over 230. He did very well for years that way. A few years ago he switched to reactive equipment and it's much easier on his body now.
    Again, thanks Rob... I think I understand your article much better now...

Rob, I made sure that I brought my Storm SoniQ ball this morning and I polished up my Hy-Road Nano, too. Made up my mind to try getting a bit deeper right from the start and did it during warm up to see if I could. I wanted to lay the ball down right on board 20 and wanted to roll over the third arrow. Since I typically target at the dots, I decided that I'd target board 17.5. It worked pretty well, but my darn spare shooting was terrible this morning. My 2nd game was a 233 with either a five or six bagger using the SoniQ. I could use either ball using the same points on the lane. I don't recall ever playing that far left before and I didn't even get a nose bleed or anything. Felt pretty comfortable with it. The lanes were dressed nicely and the breakpoint was just about right. Made it hard to miss the point on most shots at least for a pretty long while...

I'm glad to hear that you are making the effort! I bowled against a guy last week who had a great shot until he didn't. He changed balls, but never moved. We had a good talk after bowling and he came up with a great analogy. He said that playing the second arrow for him was like being in the shallow end of the pool, but as he moves left it's like the water is getting deeper and deeper. I bowled next to him yesterday, and after his last game where he was completely lost, I suggested that he invest in a snorkel (practice). He laughed and agreed, but I have a hunch that he's probably going to spend the rest of his life in the shallow end.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The idea of using the laydown point as a target is an exercise. It is used for two reasons. First, by using the laydown point as your target, you can make sure that you haven't simply moved your feet left and walked more right. More importantly, it is to make sure that you are staying behind the ball, and not coming around it early in an attempt to "get it back." With your laydown point 11 boards to the right of your slide foot, it seems like this is probably what's happening. Simply opening up your angles should not cause an big change in your laydown point. Try the exercise. I think that it will be an eye-opener for you.

By the way, as you probably know, since last summer, I've been using nothing but a plastic spare ball for all of my bowling (T-Zone... no core). Since then, I have enjoyed bowling more than I have in many years. When I throw the occasional 600 series now, I've done something! So, I know exactly what you mean about the lure of a less expensive ball that works like magic.

Rob
    Does it make sense that if I’m rolling on a normal oil pattern, I can only roll plastic? It’s a DV8 polyester so essentially same as a t zone. Everything else gets burnt up too quickly from outside or goes Brooklyn from inside. RGs between 2.48-2.62. Tried every laydown point in the land

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Does it make sense that if I’m rolling on a normal oil pattern, I can only roll plastic? It’s a DV8 polyester so essentially same as a t zone. Everything else gets burnt up too quickly from outside or goes Brooklyn from inside. RGs between 2.48-2.62. Tried every laydown point in the land
    Matt I'm guessing you have a lower ball speed? I've been in houses where under league conditions I could throw plastic better than anything
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    It makes perfect sense for lower ball speeds. I just added a Track Spare + plastic ball with an asymmetrical core. It's really helped me to carry more corners, and to bring uneven lanes closer together. It gives me about 3-4 more boards of hook than the T-Zone.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    It makes perfect sense for lower ball speeds. I just added a Track Spare + plastic ball with an asymmetrical core. It's really helped me to carry more corners, and to bring uneven lanes closer together. It gives me about 3-4 more boards of hook than the T-Zone.
    Didn’t think about going asymm - that’s a good idea. and yes you’re both right I am on the slower end. Nothing insanely slow but definitely under 18. My IT band in my left knee keeps me from using my legs as much so I have to rely more on swing