Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plastic ball

Default plastic ball

Hello: I'm looking for a ball I can use for those pesky spares, particularly the ignominious "10"! My ball (Roto Grip-No Rules) tends to hook at the last minute leaving me not necessarily in a good mood. Any thoughts?
    Hope so! Thanks. Oltymer

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Brunswick T Zone would fit what you’re looking for. For the most part any of the plastic balls would be fine.

The Hammer Widow Spare is what I'm using right now. It's plastic, but has the "Gas Mask" high performance core. Right now I'm using it as my main ball because due to injury, I'm having to slow my speed down. Plus, I think the lanes are on the dry side to begin with, and totally dry by the 3rd game. But it's a great spare ball too. Just don't drill it aggressively and you'll have a nice spare/dry lane ball.
    Last edited by Eddy; 08-27-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Chats: 2

Any plastic ball will do. Some guys even use urethane (I know for a fact Wes Malott won't use plastic). No need to go out and buy the Storm White ball for $200. Get you that cheap T-Zone or White Dot. Usually about $70 punched up.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

A lot of the recommendation will depend on the equipment you take with you. If you only have one ball you take with you and you are looking to get a spare ball I would recommend either the hammer widow spare or a weak urethane ball (steer clear of the hot cells, black widow urethane, and other strong urethane balls). This way you have your "benchmark" ball and then you can use your spare ball as another option for strikes if needed. If you are someone who carries 3 or more balls with you already you would need to ask what will provide you the greatest benefit - adding a spare ball that gives you more striking options as well (which essentially states that current ball changes and release adjustments are not enough) or something that is only used for spares and goes dead straight (which in this instance you have taken the lane out of the equation when lining up your spares).

I personally am biased towards carrying a true dead-straight spare ball since then it doesn't matter what pattern or house I'm bowling (and essentially the quality of my release) I know where I need to hit and stand removing all other variables.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I bought a Brunswick Rhino Pearl Black for a spare ball because i wanted something i could use on dry lanes as a strike ball too. The ball has a very slight hook to it. would be good for somebody that might want to use it as a dual purpose
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 32

A lot of this depends on your game. The chance of me using a Rhino or even Urethane are slim. The higher speed guys with less hand can even use their strike balls ok for 10 pins for lower speed bowlers with more hand it's got to be plastic. It all depends on your game.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    A lot of this depends on your game. The chance of me using a Rhino or even Urethane are slim. The higher speed guys with less hand can even use their strike balls ok for 10 pins for lower speed bowlers with more hand it's got to be plastic. It all depends on your game.
    True. I'm a higher speed, lower rev bowler. I had always used the same ball for strikes and spares. When I bought my Black Widow Gold I had trouble with the 7 pin (lefty here) because it had too much backend so I bought the Rhino. Now I'm using a Kingpin and have been using it for all my spares, including the 7 pin. I bowled 2 games last night in a tourney and used the Kingpin for every shot (probably should have tried something different as it didn't end well but that's another story...lol). I picked up 2/3 7 pins with it and a couple of 4-7's too.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I tried a TZone and didn't like going straight at my spares. I use an old AMF Cobra Urethane that i've had since I was a kid.

Cranker

Like most of the guys said. any plastic ball will do. They all are pretty much the same, the only decide with plastic is that they tend to crack and chip over time. I personally love the Storm Mix, its a highly polished pearl urethane that will perform almost exactly like a plastic ball but it'll be more durable.

Like LuckySavage, I'm also a big believer in throwing a dead straight spare ball at the majority of spares. Takes the lane out of play and if I miss the spare then I probably just threw a bad shot, it wasn't because the ball hooked more or less than I thought it would.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast