Thread: Difference in techniques

Default Difference in techniques

Hey! So I was just curious about two different styles I've noticed, and I wondered if anyone could explain how the other styled bowlers are able to achieve it.

So the first style is the basic-bowler style (I don't know xd), they swing the ball, turn their hand at the point of release to get the ball some hook. This is probably among the lines of how I release the ball right now.

The second style for more advanced bowlers, puzzles me as to how they can do this so fluently, and the result of this technique is extremely increased revolutions in ball roll. It almost seems as if they snap their elbow at the point of release, that's the big differential in styles, is that their elbow seems to be doing something different than other people might do it (like me, for instance, I'm not there yet.)

Ultimately though, that's probably* the style I'm working towards. I've been getting lessons with a coach recently to improve my game, and I'd say it's been going pretty good. My revolutions have gone up considerably, and my release isn't as grippy as it used to be.

But this is a pretty big contrast. I just wondered if somebody here could give me a analysis on both of these styles, and their differences on how people can achieve such a powerhouse of a release.

Thanks!

Chats: 256

It's not necessarily the elbow that is snapping at point of release, alot of it is in the wrist and how the hand is releasing the ball.
    I am no coach, so only take my statement as a bowler without the technical knowledge to analyze a bowlers release. LOL!

Check out this video:

Last edited by vdubtx; 08-28-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Thanks dub! I found the video very interesting..who knows, maybe I'll be able to throw it like that some day :P

Quote Originally Posted by BowlerGuy1500 View Post
    Thanks dub! I found the video very interesting..who knows, maybe I'll be able to throw it like that some day :P
    As the coaches at my clinic this summer told me, "your roll the ball, you don't throw it." Amazingly enough, when I started doing what they told me, I got better.

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    As the coaches at my clinic this summer told me, "your roll the ball, you don't throw it." Amazingly enough, when I started doing what they told me, I got better.
    This. Bowling is very un-intuitive. Turning or lifting to try and hook it more is actually counter-productive. Just keeping your wrist in position and letting the ball roll off does it all.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Joe Novara is an example of the elbow wrist snap I think. You can find him on YouTube. He just walks up slowly then brings the ball way over his head. I can see how he repeats so easily that way but jeez will he be able to do that when he gets older. To me that isn't textbook form but it works. Almost looks like what a pitcher does with their arm. I pick up things watching the pros over the years and incorporate them into my style and also it's a combination of the lessons you take. My friend has thrown the same way since he was 12.

A modern release also differs from a traditional release in the timing from when the thumb exits the ball until the fingers exit the ball. If you are a BTM subscriber (if you're not, you should be), please refer to an article I wrote a few years ago called "Release Timing." I think it will help you to clarify things.