Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on progress towards returning to bowling after amputation

Chats: 221

Default Update on progress towards returning to bowling after amputation

It's been a while since i updated my progress so here goes. Stump is finlly healed and I have been fitted with a prothesis. I am 5 weeks into physical therapy / rehab. Monday I walked a total of 323 feet using my walker (80/90/100/53 feet).. It's a slow process as we need to build strength and flexability back into my "good" right leg. If I have to make a guess I would say probably next season before I am back bowling. I'm making good progress according o my therapist so you nevber know.

I also had a Cochlear implant put in my head to help "correct" the hearing loss I suddrnly suffered last December. It has given me back some haring although it sounds a little wierd because it's digital sound
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Sounds like you're progressing. Keep it up and don't get discouraged if you have a rough day or two.

Chats: 32

Glad to here that stormed. I've got a friend who just lost his leg last year and has just returned to bowling. It's a hard path but getting back to what you love is worth it
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

When I have a bad day I treat it as a speed bump in the road of life. Two weeks ago I had a day I had trouble walking 30 feet. Ther next session I went 72/81/103 so just a speed bump

There’s a guy in my bowling league that rolls from a wheelchair. He’s actually really good. Don’t give up.

Also, if it’s your left leg that’s been replaced, you might want to try bowling left-handed. Just occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Glad to here that stormed. I've got a friend who just lost his leg last year and has just returned to bowling. It's a hard path but getting back to what you love is worth it
    out of curiosity was e an above or elow the knee amputee. I'm an above the knee

High Roller

That's awesome. Hope you get back out there knock 'em down!
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Keep on keeping on. You are an inspiration.
    -Dave

In the bag: DynoThane Vendetta, PBS Planet Earth, Brunswick TZone

Good news! Hope you get back on the lanes soon! =)
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Glad to hear things are progressing! Keep at it and hope to see you back out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast