Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dave's Goodtimers Scores

Default Dave's Goodtimers Scores

I joined a league for the first time in I don't know how long. My ex-wife got rid of all of my bowling equipment, so I'm rebuilding my arsenal. The league sounds like a lot of fun. I got put on a team with several others that were looking for a team. We start on Tuesday. My goal is to have more 500+ series than under 500 by December. I can't wait to have some scores to post!
    -Dave

In the bag: DynoThane Vendetta, PBS Planet Earth, Brunswick TZone

So my first week of bowling went about as I expected. Fresh oil meant that I wouldn't get the hook I was getting with the TZone on dry lanes. I ended up taking an outside line and found some success out there. My biggest issue was my spare shooting. I need to improve on 50% overall and 55% of makeable spares. All in all, though, I'm pretty happy. Bowling in a league for the first time in years feels good.

-Dave

I had fun. That's about all I can say about this week. I could not strike. In fact, I had a hard time getting to the pocket. When I did, I was leaving the 5 pin. I need to get a stronger ball at some point. But more importantly, I need to start picking up my spares. The last one really hurt. I missed the 3-6, such an easy pickup, and we lost the third game by 4 pins. Grrrr. Oh well, we only picked up 2 points this week, but we got all 7 last week.

-Dave

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

If you're using the Tzone as your primary ball, that would explain a bunch of the 5-pins. That ball doesn't have much of an "engine" in it, and deflects easier than a ball with a traditional weight block. Might be time to look at some new lumber!
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    If you're using the Tzone as your primary ball, that would explain a bunch of the 5-pins. That ball doesn't have much of an "engine" in it, and deflects easier than a ball with a traditional weight block. Might be time to look at some new lumber!
    You hit the nail on the head. I am rebuilding my arsenal after a divorce, so I went with the TZone first, because I was just trying to get back into the swing of things. I know that I will use it as a spare ball, so it was an economical way to get started earlier this summer. I will be going early next week so I can stop in the pro shop to start the process of picking out a new ball. Hopefully, in the next month or so, I will have enough saved up to get one.
    -Dave

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    Actually a TZone has a true traditional weight block, just enought to compensate for the material removed by drilling the finger and thumb holes. What it lacks is a dynamic core.
    John

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Actually a TZone has a true traditional weight block, just enought to compensate for the material removed by drilling the finger and thumb holes. What it lacks is a dynamic core.
    It's not a pancake weight, I'll give it that. Not sure I'd even call that tiny thing a weight block. Semantics.....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

I bowled my best game and series of the season so far, but it should have been so much better. My line was there the entire night if I could just hit my mark. My problem was that I missed it most of the second and third games. When I hit it, 10 in the pit. It wasn't a transition issue, as I struck in the 9th and 10th in the third game when I hit my mark.

I still need to do a better job on spares. I converted 50% this week, but just 2 of 6 on single pins. I'm getting better. I have no doubt that 500 series will be common by Christmas.

-Dave

137-154-137-428

Last night was a lot of fun. My scores weren't so great, but they'll bet better. We had bingo all night. We were close to winning in the first two games, but didn't get it. In the third game, I needed a strike in the 8th for bingo. I put down the perfect ball, it broke beautifully, crashed into the pocket, and... I left the 8. My teammate ended up getting the score we needed in the 9th. Free pizza for the team next week!

We won the first game, mainly due to a teammate with a 137 average rolling a 221. We got spanked in the other two games. But we are all having a great time.

I watched 4 to 6 shots hit the pocket and deflect. It is the combination of going down to 14 pounds and throwing plastic. I am going to pick up a new ball this week. That should help get a few more strikes. That being said, my scores won't improve that much until I start hitting my spares. 5/14 single pin conversions will not cut it. On the bright side, the only times I did not pick up a 6, 9, or 10 were on a 4-7-10 split and a 5-10 split. I'm getting pretty solid on my right side pickups. My left side needs a bit of work.

-Dave

144-126-128-398

Blech. Double blech. Last night was not a lot of fun. I could not find a line that worked. My spare conversion rate was 33%. 33% on single pins, 33% on multi pin, and 33% on splits. The highlight of the night was picking up the 2-4-10 in the third game.

Six strikes all night, and only 2 of them were pocket shots. The rest were Brooklyn. Most of my pocket shots did not have any carry. My plan to get a new ball this week was put on hold due to some potential expenses. I'm still hoping to get one by the end of the month.

Next week will be better. Can't be much worse.

-Dave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast