Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowling in 1980?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Boy am I confused. You mean if my fingers are at 6:30 or 7 o'clock it will hook the same as when they are at 4:00? So if I come straight up the back it will hook the same as when I come around the side?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

"The idea is that with modern balls, the more you try to "make" the ball hook, the less it hooks."

Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure on how I want to word this, I might be rambling whatever but...

To me this should read: The idea is that with modern balls,The more you try to make the ball hook, the more erratic you make it's reaction to the conditions.

Yes, you can ""make"" balls hook, That was the whole idea behind the old "putting lift on a ball" or "Hitting up" on it. To (by how you released it) "make" those old balls with no high tech cores to assist them have a "hook" or more of one to gain more entry angle downlane.

The thing with modern bowling balls is you don't have to give them that extra help anymore, aka "make them" hook, the cores, coverstocks etc. are doing that for you. You just have to get the process started.

If you do try and "make" modern balls hook, what happens is usually you make it over react to the conditions, which causes control problems for you.

Now there are some who "try and make the ball hook" and it hooks less.

But that's because the way their trying to do it, doesn't put anything on the ball to begin with. Example would be the player you see that makes a odd looking looping swing around their body and it looks like their trying to curve or steer the ball down the lane. With the result being their ball basically does nothing going down the lane.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-05-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The idea is that with modern balls, the more you try to "make" the ball hook, the less it hooks. If you are trying to argue the statements semantically, perhaps they are lost on you anyway.
    This was the post I was being sarcastic about......

The idea is that with modern balls, the more you try to "make" the ball hook, the less it hooks. If you are trying to argue the statements semantically, perhaps they are lost on you anyway.
    Obviously with your high degree of bowling intellect much of your imparted knowledge is lost on us simpletons. Condescending much?

Pin Crusher

A few days ago I was watching a couple of seniors practicing. One of the bowlers is a current league bowler who averages about 220. The other is a former Tour Player from the 1970's. As I observed their ball reactions and listened to their conversation, it occurred to me that their bowling beliefs were formed around 1980, and never changed. Are you bowling in 2018, or in 1980? You are bowling in 1980 if you still believe that:

• The two lanes that make up a "pair" should play the same.
    • The oil is responsible if they don't play the same.
    • You can always play the 2nd arrow on a house shot.
    • You only need to watch your own ball reaction to adjust.
    • Adjustments are always 2 and 1.
    • You can "make" a ball hook.
    • One bowling ball hooks more than another.
    • You can ignore the core, because surface is 75% of ball reaction.
    • Pin up balls go longer.
    • Carry down has a negative effect on reactive resin balls.

How many of these do you still believe to be true?
    Looks like he is much smarter than 220+ league bowlers and ex touring pros. The more you try the less it hooks.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Obviously with your high degree of bowling intellect much of your imparted knowledge is lost on us simpletons. Condescending much?
    Not the first time and certainly won't be the last.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Not the first time and certainly won't be the last.
    It is unfortunate because Rob does have knowledge to offer.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    It is unfortunate because Rob does have knowledge to offer.
    He absolutely does. And most of the time it is without condescension.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Boy am I confused. You mean if my fingers are at 6:30 or 7 o'clock it will hook the same as when they are at 4:00? So if I come straight up the back it will hook the same as when I come around the side?
    I apologize for sounding condescending. It's simply self preservation. When I read posts like this, I either condescend, or beat my head against a wall until my eyes bleed!

Pin Crusher

That explains a lot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast