Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a heavier bowler need slicker soles?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default Would a heavier bowler need slicker soles?

Pretty much what that says. I'm about 270lbs and don't have much slide, if any, and my knee has been bothering me and I hop at the release to keep my balance. I'm thinking the off balance is due to not having any slide? I have the Dexter Pro Am II with the fixed S8 sole. Thinking of upgrading to a better shoe with interchangeable soles to get a little more slide in hopes of easing the impact on my knee?
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Pin Crusher

I use the slide sole #8 it some times won't slide enough. The #10 is too slick. I got up to 279 and my knees were barking. I lost and am down to 243 this morning. At my age it has helped enormously.

Since I'm 6'2" and 165 and have very little to hardly any slide I can't think my weight has anything to do with it. In my case it's probably just a body angle thing. My height combined with that angle or lack thereof is likely why I have not much of a slide but it don't hurt (usually). Face it man, we aren't young and flexible as we used to be. Perhaps sliding more would give your body a better angle to prevent pain, new shoes could probably help some. I'd also be looking to see if you're not doing something incorrectly causing the pain. Moon walking to the foul line may not be the only answer.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

The S8 “microfiber” that came with my shoes is about useless. I got an S10 and haven’t looked back.

You may well be right about heavier bowlers needing more slide. Either way, I know I did.

(260 lbs)

I'm using Dexter Tank shoes and have S8 soles. They work just fine. Have the S10 sole, too, but it's a bit too slick. The heel I typically use is H5 (standard). Tried going to the H7 and found it was too slick, too.
    Have you checked your sole to see how it's holding up? Is it in good shape and clean?
    What's keeping you from sliding at least a bit? Is your heel stopping you? Have you practiced sliding on the approach a few times during practice without the ball?
    I'm around 6 feet and 210 lbs. If you're hopping at the release point, you probably have very late timing. Get the ball out in front of you and fix your timing. A good coach might be your best bet...
    Good luck...

This is a very timely thread. I was just thinking today about trying an S10 again. The last time I did, I felt like I was going to break my neck. I am will wait until my next practice session, though. I am not trying to lay myself out a league.

High Roller

I just bought these shoes in February or March and have had this issue since returning to bowling in January. When I quit in 2002 I was about 40lbs. lighter. May have had the hop then but if I did it didn't bother me so never noticed it.

I check the approach before we start and cannot slide then either. The shoe just doesn't slide for me. Maybe 1" or so tops. I don't bend much at the knees either so that probably adds to the issue.
    As for timing, after watching myself on video a few months ago I realized I was late but worked on that. Seems ok now but that is just my opinion. I don't know of any coaches around here (Pittsburgh). I wouldn't hire a coach to bowl better because I do it for fun and if my average is 150 then so be it. That's what handicaps are for. But I would be interested in a coach if it helped save my knees or other joints.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I use the slide sole #8 it some times won't slide enough. The #10 is too slick. I got up to 279 and my knees were barking. I lost and am down to 243 this morning. At my age it has helped enormously.
    I've had the same experience. The #8 is fine at my usual center. I bowled upstate one time and the #8 was sticking. Tried the #10 and fouled. The next season Dexter came out with a #9 sole that should be in between.

I think there is a thread that mentioned some one cutting the removable soles in pieces and by using pieces of different numbered soles was able to customize their slide.
    John

Boatman, Glad you came back. Not too sure about the hop you're mentioning, but it sounds like you're falling off to the right on each shot, is that right?
    So your sole is clean and no too old. You test the approach and cannot slide more than an inch. Your knees are beginning to hurt after bowling.
    Perhaps new shoes aren't going to help much either. If I rub the S8 sole on my shoe, it's pretty darn slick. The S10 sole is even slicker.
    I do recall when I first got my Tank shoes I was wondering if I'd fall with them. Previously I was using a new pair of cheap Brunswick shoes which were universal shoes for right or left handed bowlers.
    Your style must be such that you body wants you to plant your left foot as you release your ball. In my case I do what comes naturally and get a bit of slide. When I tried the slicker heel and sole, it was just too much slide for my and took me away from my game. I was paying more attention to my feet than anything else...

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I've had the same experience. The #8 is fine at my usual center. I bowled upstate one time and the #8 was sticking. Tried the #10 and fouled. The next season Dexter came out with a #9 sole that should be in between.

I think there is a thread that mentioned some one cutting the removable soles in pieces and by using pieces of different numbered soles was able to customize their slide.
    I have half an 8 on the outside of my shoe the other half is a 10. I bowl on wood approaches which are different than the synthetic stuff. Didn't know about the 9's might check them out. Heal is the red and I wish there were slicker ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast