Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First night of Sport League

Chats: 0

Default First night of Sport League

Lets just say it didn't go as expected. Right from the beginning I found out I was bowling anchor which is what I like so I was happy. Until I found out the other teams anchor was no other than PBA's A.J. Johnson. Um....seriously? I was going head to head with a pro? The shot was USBC Team 2017 pattern. Right from the first practice ball I got into my own head. First night of league in years, going against a pro, sport shot, new center and all new faces. I wasn't on the team I thought I was going to be on either so I knew nobody.

On the upside, I have some nice team mates. Two college level guys and the other guy is my age. The 4th guy I didn't get to meet as he prebowled. My son got to meet his first pro. A.J. was very nice, he talked to my son for a bit. After league he took a picture with him and gave him his autograph so my son was thrilled.

On the other hand, I beat myself tonight! I let my nerves get the best of me which is NOT me! I made stupid mistakes, fumbled around like an idiot and bowled WAY below par. I'm frustrated with myself and feel absolutely mortified! It wasn't the ball, it wasn't the shot, my shoe laces weren't too tight, it was all me. I even tripped on my own feet a couple times and came close to fouling. WTH? Good thing I was playing back on the approach. I was doing the Kung Foo death grip on the ball, chucking it out to the dots. I hit my leg one shot and hit my ankle on another. The ankle shot was my 2nd frame of the first game which went in the channel! Humiliating just humiliating. My concentration was terrible and I made so many fundamental mistakes.

Everything I've worked so hard on fixing all year, I did wrong tonight. I know I am so much better than this. I don't hit my ankle with the ball! What is that even about? For the first time ever bowling, I ask myself these questions "Am I out of my league? Am I just not ready for this? Are my best days behind me?" I guess the one positive is at least I'll have good handicap. Pfft!

I got one more week on this pattern then they switch it up. I need to get my head out of my arse and redeem myself next week, if for anything else for my own dignity. In case anyone is wondering how A.J. bowled I have no idea, I made a point of looking away when he was up because I knew I was getting creamed.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 4

I would have loved to bowl against AJ it would have brought
    out the best in me the better my opponent is the better I do
    at least it seems like that is the way it goes most of the time.

The other way I look at it is I'm bowling against the shot and
    against the pins so it doesn't really matter who my opponent
    is it just matters if I hit my mark and throw the ball right way.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Back in the day, shooting against a pro or anyone better than me would have brought out the best in me. Certainly not this 12yr old type foolishness and fumbling about on the lanes.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

You let the pressure get to you. Give yourself a day to be angry, then reflect and analyze.

What could you have done differently?

What did you lose by losing? Just your pride?

This experience will be better for you, in the end. You’ve seen that there are holes in your mental game, and you can now patch them before it comes up in a tournament or late in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    You let the pressure get to you. Give yourself a day to be angry, then reflect and analyze.

What could you have done differently?

What did you lose by losing? Just your pride?

This experience will be better for you, in the end. You’ve seen that there are holes in your mental game, and you can now patch them before it comes up in a tournament or late in the season.
    Oh don't worry, I'll be pissed for at least a day. LOL Which I might add is also out of character. I don't know that I actually lost. I don't have an established average yet. I could still possibly beat A.J. handicap all kidding aside because he has zero of course. My team thinks we took 2 out of 3 without my handicap, who knows....we may have took them all? It's weird though, they said you can get 40 points a week but I don't understand that.

Yeah my mental game was less than stellar for sure
    Last edited by Phonetek; 09-04-2018 at 02:00 AM.
    Bowling Center Manager

Cranker

At least you'll have a bigger handicap the next few weeks. =P

But seriously, it's just one week and this is something you'll learn from and leagues are more like a marathon, not how you start, its how you finish.

Indeed, a VERY big handicap. LOL I've cooled down quite a bit now. You guys are right, it's only one night. Considering it's a 35 week league, I'm sure I'll face A.J. again. Next time I still don't expect to win but maybe I can at least give him a run for the money and make it at least a minor challenge to where he won't yawn at it. (He didn't yawn, just saying)

I really just have to up my game a lot more than I thought. Tonight was just a well needed kick in my complacency and that's all there is to it.

At least now I get to look forward to my Thursday night THS drinking league at work. I can go shoot some easy 240's+ and look like a superstar to those people. LOL
    Bowling Center Manager

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Next time I still don't expect to win
    No,no,no,no, Phonetek you can not think that way you have to have a positive attitude
    and say to yourself "hey I can beat this guy/gal no problem" that is the
    way to think about it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Since no one else has asked, What were your scores?

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Since no one else has asked, What were your scores?
    You know to be quite honest I don't even know the exact numbers. I was too embarrassed and angry to look. I know it was under 600 without a doubt, probably 525 or less or something terrible like that. Plus after my last ball in the 10th being anchor they cleared the scores quickly enough to where they were gone by the time I put waited for my spare ball to come back and put it underneath so I didn't ask. I know for sure one game was low 140's. SMHIS What scores were you expecting to hear Bowl, just curious?

I'm not pissed anymore, still just bummed. You know the other problem I had I thought about later. I know when I missed right of my target and not by much that ball just kept sailing. A couple times I thought it was going in the channel but ended up with a lucky 5 or 6 count. That got in my head too so now I was so afraid I was going to dump it or send it into no man's land that then I was pulling it. When I pulled it, it caught the dry and wizzed right past the headpin. I had no self confidence and just assumed every ball was going to be out the window.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 09-04-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    Bowling Center Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast