Thread: Tracking Over Middle Finger

Default Tracking Over Middle Finger

Took my new Cutting Edge Hybrid to the lanes for the first time last night. Noticed right away that the first couple of revolutions were tracking over the middle finger hole of the ball. In doing some reading last night I think the cause is that I'm staying behind the ball too much and/or I'm not getting my thumb out soon enough. All summer long I read and watched videos about releases and they all preached about staying behind the ball. I guess I didn't know it was possible to stay behind it too much.

-Alex

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    Took my new Cutting Edge Hybrid to the lanes for the first time last night. Noticed right away that the first couple of revolutions were tracking over the middle finger hole of the ball. In doing some reading last night I think the cause is that I'm staying behind the ball too much and/or I'm not getting my thumb out soon enough. All summer long I read and watched videos about releases and they all preached about staying behind the ball. I guess I didn't know it was possible to stay behind it too much.

-Alex
    could be the layout as well. if you're naturally high tracked and have a high flaring layout, you will catch the fingers
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    could be the layout as well. if you're naturally high tracked and have a high flaring layout, you will catch the fingers
    I wondered that as well. From what I've read though since it's happening on the first one or two revolutions it has more to do with my release than the layout. My Storm Match-up is drilled the same way. That ball tracks very close to the finger hole but I've never noticed it going over the finger hole.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    I wondered that as well. From what I've read though since it's happening on the first one or two revolutions it has more to do with my release than the layout. My Storm Match-up is drilled the same way. That ball tracks very close to the finger hole but I've never noticed it going over the finger hole.
    I would check your PAP then upon release and see if you can also see your axis tilt. Storm has a video on how to find those on YouTube I believe.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

I'm guessing I have very low axis tilt.