Thread: How come I don't notice "track marks" on balls any more?

Default How come I don't notice "track marks" on balls any more?

I remember back in the 80's and 90's that when I would look at someone else's ball, and sometimes my own, I would notice a flat spot, or "track" where the ball contacts the lane most often. These days, I have yet to notice it to any great degree. But back in the day, almost every ball had a very defined track mark. I think I know the answer, but waiting to hear from someone else with knowledge about this.

I'm guessing it's due to flare. The weight blocks these days make the ball track over different areas of the ball. Am I right?

My spare ball has a defined track on it, but, yes, you're right. A reactive resin ball will flare and there are many oil tracks on the ball.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

That and the new balls absorb the oil much more so the track isn't visible.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

i don't see today's bowling balls soaking up oil faster, in fact i see the centers putting down much less oil, and that is why there is hardly any oil on the ball when it comes back up the ball return. I see so much less oil that I can no longer use reactive's, i have to resort to using old school urethane. I tried some of the newer urethane's, but my old Urethane's hook more than the new one's i have tried. As far as the tracking marks you are talking about, My theory is that since 2005 due to usbc rules, bowling balls porosity is now much less, and surface hardness has increased there for we don't see tracking issues as bad as in the past. I still have many old softer bowling balls that are higher porosity and they still track up same as always, so that is why i said what i just said, and is my reason for this conclusion. Also when kegel came out with the slicker "Ice" oil as they call it, because it is slicker, you don't have to use as much and would explain the reason for lower volume on the lanes these days/ or one reason anyway. When i try to use reactive's on today's conditions all i get is over/under erratic ball reaction, so i do much better with urethane.