Thread: New ball dilemma

Default New ball dilemma

I absolutely love my Hy-Road Nano. However, I bought it way too soon because, my game is just now at the point where I can really appreciate it. Because of my prior lack of ability, the ball paid the price. I put a nice sized nick in it early on. My PSO did a pretty good job getting it down. The other thing is that, after this and another round of resurfacing, you a good portion of the logos are gone, also.

Well, I am considering replacing this ball or getting another similar ball to give this one a break. But, I thought I would ask the more experienced minds their thoughts. The Nano is far from dead but, I am wondering if it would survive more resurfacings. So, my options are to stay pat, get another Nano or maybe look at a different ball altogether.

In advance, let me say I appreciate the insight.

The box your Hy-Road Nano came in has the data that is necessary to use it in sanctioned USBC league, which is the weight and the serial number from Storm. If the serial number doesn't show, you may have to see if you PSO can put the markings back on the ball for you.
    This ball has a pretty thick coverstock with it and it will take plenty resurfacing before you should consider replacing it. My suggestion is to stay with it.
    Just yesterday I polished mine up and it looks really nice. The ball tends to read the mid lane a bit too early and now I'm hoping that it will make it's move to the left a little farther down the lane. We'll see... Good luck!

The Hy-Road core has a high RG; it goes long. It also has a very strong cover material. This combination of core and cover is pretty unique. If you like the ball that much, get another one. It may prove to be hard to replace.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    The box your Hy-Road Nano came in has the data that is necessary to use it in sanctioned USBC league, which is the weight and the serial number from Storm. If the serial number doesn't show, you may have to see if you PSO can put the markings back on the ball for you.
    Since this comes up every now and then, I thought I'd post the info again.

The rules regarding the serial numbers and names/logos on a ball, which can go missing over time do to resurfacing etc.

Any bowling ball used in USBC certified competition must be approved and identifiable as a ball listed on the “Approved Ball List” located on the Equipment Specifications page on bowl. com with the exception of House Balls.

For identification purposes, each ball must have some form of serial number, the ball’s original brand and model names or logos must also be on each ball.

So what happens if one or all are missing? Whats required to be legal?
    (This was checked with the USBC rules dept.)

The Ball serial number:
    A serial number is required to keep the ball legal. If this number goes missing you can have it engraved or re-engraved (Note: It doesn't have to be the original number).

The USBC Star Logo:
    The USBC Star Logo is a manufacturing requirement not an end user (Player) requirement, So it would not need to be re-engraved. The ball would be legal as this isn’t an player requirement, assuming the ball has the other required markings.

The ball’s original brand and model names or logos:
    These may not be re-engraved by the bowler, Once the ball is no longer identifiable by the brand name/logo and ball name it is no longer allowed to be used during USBC certified competition.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    I absolutely love my Hy-Road Nano. However, I bought it way too soon because, my game is just now at the point where I can really appreciate it. Because of my prior lack of ability, the ball paid the price. I put a nice sized nick in it early on. My PSO did a pretty good job getting it down.
    Just a tip.

If you get a good size nick/gouge in your ball have them patch it, It only takes a drop plug material. Don't just sand the balls cover down till it's gone.

If they don't want to do it, do it yourself. They make a little kit (Master Kwik-Patch Kit) or you can use superglue (I've done it a bunch of times, It's easy.)

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker