Thread: New way to bowl because of body issues

Chats: 0

Default New way to bowl because of body issues

Our first league night was this past Saturday. I found out I couldn't do my normal slide to the foul line because my new right hip didn't like it and my right knee can't support my body weight because it might need replacing. So I had to just walk up to the foul line and put my left leg a little behind me and crouch down some. Then I would swing the ball three times and let it go. The first game was an 85. Once I got used to where to line up and throw my second game was 133. My third game was a 138. When I got a strike or a spare my league members near me would clap and cheer. I told them the problem I had and the reason I was bowling like I was. I didn't want to give up on bowling because I love it and I am in my 34th year on this league.

I asked my teammates if they are okay with me doing this. They said that this night was for setting handicaps so I will just be getting a higher handicap. Once I got used to my new technique it started to be fun to see what I would get on each shot. I picked up some pretty good spares doing this and had several strikes. Time will tell when I will have to get my right knee replaced. Getting old is rough for me these days but not rough enough to bail on bowling.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

High Roller

Good to hear. Whatever it takes. That's what handicaps are for. Keep it up and do what you need to!
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

That's awesome! Do whatever it takes to stay on the lanes.
    -Dave

In the bag: DynoThane Vendetta, PBS Planet Earth, Brunswick TZone

It sounds a lot like a one step drill only with a little more ball speed from the extra swings. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably get some excellent timing out of it and a nice release. I certainly applaud your efforts, you're a hell of a human being for having the gusto that you do! You are an inspiration to say the least. All the best to you!
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    It sounds a lot like a one step drill only with a little more ball speed from the extra swings. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably get some excellent timing out of it and a nice release. I certainly applaud your efforts, you're a hell of a human being for having the gusto that you do! You are an inspiration to say the least. All the best to you!
    Yeah, mine is a no step drill. My three swings gives me enough energy to get some good speed on the ball. The good thing about it is it let's me have a good release. I can better feel if my hand stays behind the ball and doesn't turn early. If anyone wants to better their release I would recommend training yourself this way. Once you figure out where to stand at the foul line you can bowl strikes and pick up spares once you figure out how your ball reacts. I am looking forward to the next league night.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.