Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help: Pitches in Fingers causing Wrist pain

SandBagger
    Chats: 2

Default Please Help: Pitches in Fingers causing Wrist pain

Over the last 5-6 years, the flexibility in my fingers has been decreasing. I had 0 pitch in the middle finger and 1/8 away in the ring. Had some pain in my hand when I would bowl more then 4 or 5 games. Got fit again and went to 1/2 away in the middle finger and 1/2 away in the ring. I've started having pain in my wrist again and a little worse then before. Also, my span was shorten a 1/4 inch. How much of an effect would finger pitches have on my wrist pain and how much pitch is to much? Would going to 1 inch of pitch be realistic and how would it change my roll???
    Arsenal: Buzz attack Stinger, Bloody Cross Royal, Big Kahuna Congo, Big Kahuna Tribal, Morpheus Dream, Graffiti, YOLO, YOLO Pearl

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I don't think anyone can realistically give you span and pitch recommendations without being able to physically seeing your fit and examining your hand. With that said, an incorrect grip, span and fit can definitely cause you pain. You need to find the best pro shop in your area and work with them on your fit. Explain to them the pain you are having and they should also check the flexibility in your hand and fingers.

I wouldn't worry about your roll until after you get the proper fit and are pain free. That's the most important thing.

SandBagger

Here's the specs. I drilled balls and worked in a pro shop for a few years. I bowl PBA events, which might not mean a whole lot considering anyone can bowl them, but its just to say that I try my best to stay as knowledgeable as possible. The pro shops in my area aren't, to be nice, aren't the best and the guy that fixed me up before isn't around anymore. Being as I live with my body everyday, I can for sure say that flexibility in fingers has decreased.

Last edited by edpup316; 09-27-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    Arsenal: Buzz attack Stinger, Bloody Cross Royal, Big Kahuna Congo, Big Kahuna Tribal, Morpheus Dream, Graffiti, YOLO, YOLO Pearl

Chats: 256

Just a thought, have you thought about checking your span? I found that shortening the span of my balls really helped me with wrist pain that I was developing.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

SandBagger

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Just a thought, have you thought about checking your span? I found that shortening the span of my balls really helped me with wrist pain that I was developing.
    I mentioned in the OP that I shortened my span a 1/4 inch already. I would be down with shortening it more but wanted to find out of that would even help. Feel like if its too short it might lead to squeezing more then normal.

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Wow, funny you mention that vdub. I just recently went for a cortisone injection in my hand/wrist. All this pain started a little after a month after a got a new ball drilled. The only change? I had the PSO widen the span because I thought it might just "feel" better laying more flush in the palm of my hand. Wrong. That little difference accounted for more and more strain on the wrist and back of hand. Luckily I have a Hyper Cell Fused still in the box ready to be punched up.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Ringer

Do you use grips in your finger holes?

SandBagger

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    Do you use grips in your finger holes?
    I do. Just the regular oval ones. No power lifts or anything.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by edpup316 View Post
    I do. Just the regular oval ones. No power lifts or anything.
    Yeah, I prefer regular ovals as well. How tight do you like them? Could going up or down half a size on the grips possibly help?
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

SandBagger

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    Yeah, I prefer regular ovals as well. How tight do you like them? Could going up or down half a size on the grips possibly help?
    Possibly. Not sure what the science behind that would be. Mine aren't overly tight. Snug would best describe the fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast