Thread: Stay safe: Bowling center owner dies in pinsetter accident

Default Stay safe: Bowling center owner dies in pinsetter accident

I read where Phonetek mentioned the importance of being safe when dealing with this machinery. This reinforces that reality.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Just like distracted driving it only takes a second. Sad story for everyone. By the way where is Florence at? Neither your profile or the story mentions a state.

Chats: 256

Looks like Colorado. Tragic.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 0

Yeah I seen this. Yet another life claimed by a pinspotter. You know, they didn't say it this time but they often refer to this as a "Freak Accident". I can say there are very few instances where that is actually true. There aren't many fast moving high RPM things going on. Most of the machine moves rather slow. They said he was "Impaled in the machine" but I'm not sure what they mean by that. Impaled usually implies they were stabbed. I can't think of anything that would really STAB you really. Poke maybe but stab? I mean there are springs under massive amounts of pressure that could come loose or break and fly at you with enough force to maybe stab you, they could do damage from brute force and be sharp enough to stab but it's highly improbable. There are many things in the way that they would hit first. You'd have to be one unlucky person.

I know I'm no expert and have limited time on the job but I think that 99.9% of the deaths could have likely have been prevented. One thing I learned and learned first is that safety is paramount! The jerk waiting on the approach with his arms crossed, tapping his foot giving the stink eye is NOT! NEVER wear loose clothing, jewelry, ties, long sleeves and tie your shoes! Gloves are only used with an unplugged machine unless they are skin tight disposable rubber gloves. If they get caught they will easily tear causing no injury. If you have long hair, tie it up and tuck it in. ALWAYS when working in, under or above a machine then have the counter lock it out and pull the power cords. If you're working under the table then use a ratchet strap and secure it so it cannot fall.

When working on the front of the machine, ALWAYS have the sweep down and stand inside of it. I got nailed by a bowling ball that a teen thought was being funny throwing one down while I was climbing under the masking unit. Yeah HAHA real funny! Getting hit by even a 10 lb ball hurts like hell. What was funny was him getting thrown out and banned. My bad for not paying attention, I deserved it. However, there is always "That guy" who is too impatient or too stupid to realize someone is in the machine and chucks a ball down anyway. It happens all the time, they usually hit the sweep.

Again, safety is paramount. Yep it's an inconvenience during league or tournament and even open bowlers get upset waiting for repairs. My answer is tough luck, too bad you just have to wait. That's why accidents happen, mechanics are in a hurry trying to make people happy. My question is, what takes longer for the next shot.... Waiting a bit for the repair to be done safely or done quickly and carelessly causing death then waiting for the body to be removed and investigation to be done? By all means, complain if they want or write a bad review. Unless they are going to support the mechs family then they need to sit down, shut the hell up and wait because I doubt the world will end in the meantime.

However this accident happened, freak or carelessness on his part. I have a great sympathy for him and his family. One of my fellow brethren died just trying to do his job. I urge anyone who works on these machines to stay safe for your own sake and your families, it's not worth doing it any other way. In addition to morning the loss of a fellow mech, I also fear that this is yet another center that will close and now those grade school kids who bowl for PE class will no longer have that opportunity. Same goes for the rest of the town, everyone loses.

For you bowlers out there, realize that it is a dangerous job and mechs risk their lives for you to enjoy this wonderful sport. Instead of getting angry about waiting, the next time you see your mechanic go up to them and shake their hand and say "Thank you" for a job well done. Heck, buy them a beer when they clock out. Come the holidays, give them a $2 Christmas card or whatever. Show some appreciation. It's often a thankless job and all you hear is complains about the machines and moaning about oil patterns, never the positive.

I've gotten to know quite a few mechs over this past year from many different centers, few do it because "well it's a job". The majority do it because they love what they do and those machines are their "Babies". Even in their off time those machines are all they talk about, they absolutely hands down love their craft! For me personally, I enjoy working on them and am still fascinated by them, but don't want to do it every day. I'm too old to make a career out of it anyway and I don't like sitting in the back waiting for problems to happen while they are running smooth. I like people, running around staying busy and enjoy in the front end more. Either way, I choose if at all possible to not go out of this world like this poor guy did. Thank you for reading the long post, it's a tribute to this man and he deserves as many kind words as he can get.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)