Thread: PAP & Tilt question

Chats: 0

Default PAP & Tilt question

Would it be best to use a urethane ball in order to find ones PAP and axis tilt since the track is much more defined and narrow due to the lack of flare? My urethane seems to travel over nearly the exact part of the ball leaving one thin track about an 1 1/2" from the finger holes and about a 1/4" from the thumb. Would that be better to use a benchmark to measure from vs a reactive ball that turns itself?
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Typically it was always suggested to find your PAP with a low flare ball such as a plastic ball. Because Your pap can vary some (not a lot though) depending on how dynamic the core is.

Today it's usually suggested to find your PAP with a ball that's like what your normally using (or going to replace) the most. So If you generally start out with a resin ball, then use it. If you have several resin balls then find your PAP on 2 or 3 of them and average them.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-03-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Nah I don't really have that many. I can see the difference with the flare though, not only with the oil tracks but just watching the inserts as it goes down the lane. I figured urethane or plastic which I don't own would be the best benchmark considering it's going the way the bowler throws it vs. what how the ball is designed to roll due to core influence.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Typically it was always suggested to find your PAP with a low flare ball such as a plastic ball. Because Your pap can vary some (not a lot though) depending on how dynamic the core is.

Today it's usually suggested to find your PAP with a ball that's like what your normally using (or going to replace) the most. So If you generally start out with a resin ball, then use it. If you have several resin balls then find your PAP on 2 or 3 of them and average them.
    So would the recommendation to use your normal ball to measure PAP be because even though strong ball dynamics can affect the position of even the very first oil ring, that oil ring still represents where your ball ends up rolling on its first rotation when it hits the lane. So you're dealing with what actually happens with that ball rather then with what happens with a low flare ball you're likely not going to use? If that makes any sense...
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Yeah that makes perfect sense. I only have a few balls right now so there really isn't one I don't use often. I have a Faball black hammer, Rip'd and Venom Shock. Monday we were on Cheetah like the previous week so I decided to make the choice to just use the Black hammer because of it. I didn't do great but I didn't do bad either. I wasn't unsatisfied with the results. It don't hit very hard but all and all I only got cheated on one strike because it deflected unlike the reactive balls. I was expecting worse with deflection. Given the angle I was hitting the pocket it worked very well. Spares were my fault.

Because I used that ball I noticed the oil track being what it was in comparison to my others which made me wonder about this. Funny thing is because of the flare it made me think I was coming over the top of the ball throwing a spinner until I threw the urethane. I clearly am not or it would be much farther away from the thumb and finger holes. Turns out I'm throwing it perfectly the way I want to.
    Bowling Center Manager