Thread: A discovery that early and late timing can occur in the same delivery

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default A discovery that early and late timing can occur in the same delivery

So, I have been debating whether to continue to bowl no thumb because after a two year absence from bowling, my no thumb delivery...uh..sucked. My timing was off, ball speed was down and the ball was bouncing onto the lane. Today I made a major timing discovery.

I have very little backswing. Because of that, it's very easy for timing to get early. Because of the short swing, the ball is ready to be released, but the feet aren't ready yet. So the ball ends up being "carried" through part of the delivery. And it's heavy. But then, once the slide finally occurs, the swing has no momentum. The ball has been carried, not swung. So now, the ball has to basically be slung onto the lane, which is indicative of LATE timing. I'm ready at the line but the ball is late because there is no swing to propel it.

So an easy mistake to try to correct this is to have faster feet. But then it's like racing to the line and everything happens in a blur. I can't feel my release. It happens to fast. My balance is poor.

But there is a much better correction to make! I basically need to "lose" a step during the middle of the approach. I think the swing should start in the usual place, second step of a five step approach for me, but there needs to be two very short steps in the middle. Effectively, those two short steps take the same length of time as one normal step. So it's like "losing" a step in the middle. By doing this, I don't carry the ball. The ball isn't hanging there wating for my feet to catch up.

My timing trick is to count "one, two" on my first two steps, then immediately prepare for release. The next two steps are therefore very short and my slide and release position feel very relaxed and balanced. The ball doesn't feel heavy. I can feel my release. The ball hits the lane smoothly. My ball speed is higher even though it feels like it takes so much less effort.

I'm excited to bowl league tomorrow night! I hope it feels as good tomorrow as it did today!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I'm ready at the line but the ball is late because there is no swing to propel it.
    My timing trick is to count "one, two" on my first two steps, then immediately prepare for release. The next two steps are therefore very short and my slide and release position feel very relaxed and balanced.
    Basically sound's like your changing to the bowling cadence, which comes up every now and then in the forums. IE: Five step cadence: slow, slow, quick, quick, slide

(Note: Four step cadence: slow, quick, quick, slide.)

Bill Spigner said this "The tempo for five-step players is slower at the start because they have more time to place the ball out, which in turn, develops a slower start and a more gradual increase in swing and foot speed."
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-04-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Basically sound's like your changing to the bowling cadence, which comes up every now and then in the forums. IE: Five step cadence: slow, slow, quick, quick, slide

(Note: Four step cadence: slow, quick, quick, slide.)

Bill Spigner said this "The tempo for five-step players is slower at the start because they have more time to place the ball out, which in turn, develops a slower start and a more gradual increase in swing and foot speed."
    Yes, that's it, but I think I prefer to think of those two steps as: short, short, rather than quick, quick. Yes they are quicker as a result of being shorter, but it would be possible to take quick steps without them being shorter and I don't think that would work for me. Especially beneficial is the short pivot step because it puts me in a good leverage position and provides a smooth transition to a balanced, relaxed finish position.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217