Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pocket 9's (and my line)

Chats: 32

Could be just the way you play although to suddenly start leaving 9 pins in strange. I find it unusual to have the same issue with a polished and a non polished ball they should be taking different angles to the pocket
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I haven't yet. Just bought it this summer but had the same issue when it was new. Same with the BWG. I hit one that with a 2000 CTD pad awhile back with no polish. But thinking back seems like this has always been an issue with me, even 20 years ago before I quit bowling. I had always had the best results way out on the first arrow. Seems the way my ball finishes (any ball I have had) the angle is best if I am outside. I tried throwing inside (2nd and 3rd arrows) but have very inconsistent results. Probably much of that is me and not sticking with it to perfect it but seems I don't have to do any 'perfecting' if I go to the first arrow. I only play THS so I'm sure that helps my line but just seems odd.
    I think like many bowlers you are afraid to change up your line once you've started with one. You think you're going to do worse if you do so, then you continue to move your feet a couple boards here and there hitting the same target. Fact is you have to play the lanes how they play best, no matter what you think you aren't going to make the lanes play the way you want them to play. It just doesn't work that way unfortunately. Sometimes you just gotta throw caution to the wind and take a chance and make the change and see what happens. Yep, you could do worse but on the other hand you might find that magic line you never thought would work but does.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I think like many bowlers you are afraid to change up your line once you've started with one. You think you're going to do worse if you do so, then you continue to move your feet a couple boards here and there hitting the same target. Fact is you have to play the lanes how they play best, no matter what you think you aren't going to make the lanes play the way you want them to play. It just doesn't work that way unfortunately. Sometimes you just gotta throw caution to the wind and take a chance and make the change and see what happens. Yep, you could do worse but on the other hand you might find that magic line you never thought would work but does.
    I've tried that a few times...still haven't found the magic line...lol. But I'm sure if I stuck to it and dedicated my playing time to an inside line I could get better with it. Just odd that it's like a light switch and it's consistent. I can hit the pocket and roll strikes all night then move inside and no more strikes.

It's not always the 9 pin. The most common in the last 3 weeks has been the 6 pin. It might be a 5 or an 8 but generally a 9 count of some sort.

I told my teammates to keep reminding me tonight to hit that first arrow so we will see how it goes.

I do notice my ball breaks sharper down lane when I throw first arrow. 2nd arrow is a little less aggressive turn in. What might that mean?

Here are my scores with leaves. Last week was good and I was hitting the first arrow. The previous 3 weeks I was closer to about board 7-10: http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...man37-s-scores
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

Well I think I'm on to something. Struggled to hit the 1st arrow the first 2 games and it was pretty dry out there so threw a little harder. I stuck with the Kingpin all night. What I did notice was right after the start of the 3rd game I remembered that I had been sort of turning my shoulder on my backswing (opening up). I hadn't done that all night tonight so started and hit the pocket pretty consistently the rest of the game. Still had some 9 counts but was consistent and felt much better. Another thing I changed was early on I was starting with the ball near my waist. Because of the dry lanes and trying to get more speed I moved the ball closer to my chest height and that helped too.

Something else I noticed is my spare shooting has been horrible and I miss them to the inside. My ball is over-hooking past the pins. I also noticed my ball revving way higher when this happens. Obviously I'm doing something different but no idea what but pretty sure that's the main reason for my spare struggles.

Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Pin Crusher

I went back and reread you original post you left a lot of 1 pin spares is what I read. last night I left 14 10 pins made 11 and also left 2 pocket 7-10's. Couple of 7 pins and an 8. Had two 2-8-10's and chopped the 6 off the 10. I think that is 8 opens. Was happy to get the night over.

High Roller

We have 3 leftys on our team and last night we all 3 left the 7 pin in a row with what looked to be perfect pocket shots and to top it off one of our righties left the 10 pin in the same frame.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12