Thread: Adjusting to "winter" conditions

Default Adjusting to "winter" conditions

So, at the center I bowl, the owner uses a 'winter' pattern which is longer than the usual THS. He said that this is due to the dryness and lower temp of the season in the alley.

He changed over a few weeks ago, and our temps have stayed in the 80s here (northern OH). So I'm now bowling on a MUCH heavier oil pattern than before, and I'm seeing very little ball reaction at the end.

I'm still a pretty new bowler, so I'm not sure if there's any magic trick to this. I know the 'rule of 31' dictates a higher board for the breakpoint, but when I try to move inside, I still see the same weak reaction.

Bowling straight up the 2nd arrow, I'm getting oil all over the ball, and STILL not reacting.

Is this a situation where I want to switch to a suitcase grip until it changes, or go out of my comfort zone, and roll the twig? At this point, the only thing that I can get to the pocket with is a near-straight shot. It's definitely helping my spares, but not the strike ball.

If it helps, my normal shot has been a stroker, standing on 20-22, and hitting 10 at the arrows. My ideal breakpoint has been around boards 3-5 until now.

Chats: 32

The rule of 31 applies to sport shots and flat patterns. On a house shot as you attempt to move inside your getting in more oil.

Standing on 20 aiming at 10 should be a pretty straight shot so your break point should be more around 9-10 at that point.

Try shifting a few boards right with your feet and a few boards right with your target. There’s still room thier without playing outside 2-3 officially the twig

I know this is going to sound stupid, but aren't I supposed to 'chase the oil'? This never seems to work out for me...

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I know this is going to sound stupid, but aren't I supposed to 'chase the oil'? This never seems to work out for me...
    I'm guessing that means moving into the oil as the night progresses. This is done as needed not just as a matter of fact. If your ball starts to hook to much then yes I would move in but if the shot is holding up stay where you are at. Some shots break down quick I've seen some it was necessary to make a move after practice ended but others I've seen hold up all night. this seems to vary between house and pattern how long they last. Don't stay if you see evidence the shot is changing often move even if you think it's you but don't leave a line that's working just because you think you should
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowler
    Chats: 0

I started warming up for the playoff game in a tournament and used a ball I hadn't used since May. I kept adding tape until I think there's 5 pieces in the thumb now. You'd think each ball would need the same amount if the hole is the same. The delays didn't throw off my opponents either

My god... this new pattern is eating me alive - help!!

Shot about 100 pins below my average tonight. Spare shooting was the same as always, percentage-wise, but I just couldn’t buy a strike.

It seems like the tolerance for mistakes is vastly lower than it used to be, which indicates a flatter pattern. But man, I just can’t believe the difference.