Thread: Blue hammer urethane hooking too much

Chats: 0

Default Blue hammer urethane hooking too much

I am not sure what to do with my hammer ball. I bought it for the wood lanes I bowl on that are usually on the dry side. It worked well until I messed around with abralon sanding pads. I used the 500 first and it hooked too much. Last night I tried the 2000 still hooking too much. Which grit can I use to get it back to factory?

Thanks,
    Brian

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerdad34 View Post
    I am not sure what to do with my hammer ball. I bought it for the wood lanes I bowl on that are usually on the dry side. It worked well until I messed around with abralon sanding pads. I used the 500 first and it hooked too much. Last night I tried the 2000 still hooking too much. Which grit can I use to get it back to factory?

Thanks,
    Brian
    I think 4000 is final step for surface on this one.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Thanks I just looked and I do have a 4000 pad so I give that a shot.

Urethane balls are fine for dry lanes as long as you have enough ball speed. Urethane tends to hook early, so if you don't have the speed, they are really not the best option for dry lanes. I would try either a very non-aggressive, entry level reactive ball, or a plastic ball with a core.

I have been using my plastic ball down 5 board and it works pretty good. The urethane worked good until I messed with the abalon pads. I throw around 16.5 to 17 so speed is not really an issue for me.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Thanks,
    Brian
    I have been using my plastic ball down 5 board and it works pretty good. The urethane worked good until I messed with the abalon pads. I throw around 16.5 to 17 so speed is not really an issue for me.
    The out of box surface for the Blue Hammer is 800/1000/2000/4000 Abralon

If your playing on wood lanes and down the 5 board with a plastic ball and it's working, Your going to have to move inside and find some OIL! with the Hammer.

Your playing on a high friction surface in the driest part of the lane, sanding a urethane (which is a early moving ball) to 500 of course it's going to take off early. The best bet would be to move in, find some oil then go from there.

If you don't really put much power on your ball, You might could sand it back to OOB and use it out there (I haven't seen you bowl so just a guess) you might even need to polish it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker