Thread: The 'Ron C Magic Carpet' Thread

Default The 'Ron C Magic Carpet' Thread

So, I finally bought my very own pack of Ron C's Magic Carpet for my thumbhole. I applied a piece to the back, and it feels amazing.

However, I still have a fair bit of room in the thumbhole, so I applied another piece to the front as well. I wonder if anyone has tried this before, or if there's any reason not to? It really snugs up the hole nicely, and I don't have to use my thumb at all to curl the ball into my palm.

Interesting. I wondered about this stuff but, I figured that it wasn't being sold any longer. Did you get it directly from their web site?

Yeah, it uses PayPal, so no sweat.

Very comfy on my thumb, but I still need to practice not using my grip.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    So, I finally bought my very own pack of Ron C's Magic Carpet for my thumbhole. I applied a piece to the back, and it feels amazing.

However, I still have a fair bit of room in the thumbhole, so I applied another piece to the front as well. I wonder if anyone has tried this before, or if there's any reason not to? It really snugs up the hole nicely, and I don't have to use my thumb at all to curl the ball into my palm.
    Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with Ron C's Magic Carpet.

I would think that if you can put two pieces of Magic Carpet in your thumb hole, the hole is more circular than oval and your thumb is more oval than circular. You may need to find a better pro shop.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with Ron C's Magic Carpet.

I would think that if you can put two pieces of Magic Carpet in your thumb hole, the hole is more circular than oval and your thumb is more oval than circular. You may need to find a better pro shop.
    All true. Options are pretty limited around here, though.

Also, the center I go to provides free drilling with a ball purchase. The only other guy I've found in this area (northern OH) charges $30, and did the same thing with a shorter span. I've had some pretty good results with sanding my thumbhole to fit, after the fact, so I'll try doing that next time.

It's incredibly hard to get a decent fit, as a new-ish bowler anyway. Most drillers simply assume that you want the "beginner setup", and you don't have the tools to describe what you really want anyway. It's a process, I suppose.
    Last edited by GrumpyCatFace; 10-15-2018 at 10:25 AM.

I got around to getting some of this and, I can't lie, this stuff is amazing. I actually took all the tape out my ball (3 pieces in the front, 2 in the back of my thumb) and replaced them with just one piece of the Magic Carpet. It took a few games to break in but, after that, it's been great.

Also, you're right about the gripping part. If you knuckle at all with the thumb, you can get some pretty immediate feedback (ouch) when you're doing this.