Thread: Best night for 3rd league night outing..........

Chats: 0

Default Best night for 3rd league night outing..........

My three games were 145, 172 and 145. Now you might say this is a good league night? You have to remember that I now bowl with no approach. Because of a right hip replacement recovery and a right knee that is bone on bone on the inside part I can no longer make a normal approach. I just take my ball and walk up to the foul line and line myself up then I swing three times and let it go. Now all of you folks here try that and see what kind of games you bowl It is real interesting trying to pick up spares even one pin spares or multiple pins. First game three opens, second two opens and third game three opens. These three games are my highest so far on league night.

I used to have a 186 average and would bowl several 600 series a season and would bowl all three games over 200 quite often. So now I have to settle for what I can get no matter what they are. Even in this scenario I still get enjoyment out of bowling. I have been on this league 33 years and couldn't get myself to give it up. I will be 72 in three months. Because of my slower ball speed I can even get my Blue Hammer urethane ball to hook nicely to the pocket. I am getting better at where to line up for pocket hits. That is why tonight for me was a good night with decent scores. I did tell here what was going on with my bowling on my first league night. So even though I have no approach tonight was fun for me. So, when you are out on practice try bowling by just walking up to the foul line and crouch down a little and swing three times and let it go. Then see how good your scores will be. As far as myself I am getting better at using this style. It was my best night out so far and it was fun because I am getting better. Oh, my average before this night was a 118. It will be interesting how high I can get my average this year.
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-14-2018 at 07:11 AM.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

We sometimes have the kids do your approach as a drill, usually when we’re trying to get them to release the ball consistently. I practiced one game like this yesterday and surprised myself by making 4 spares.
    John

Way to go Hammer! There are several people in my league that bowl this way and carry a pretty impressive average. Not a lot of strikes, but nearly 100% spare conversion. They are very tough to beat.

Congrats! If you're still enjoying the game and the company you keep, that's the blessing.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    We sometimes have the kids do your approach as a drill, usually when we’re trying to get them to release the ball consistently. I practiced one game like this yesterday and surprised myself by making 4 spares.
    I wish I would have used this style of bowling to learn how to keep my hand behind the ball until the release area. When I keep it to the inside to the release area my thumb will come out easily and then the weight of the ball drops onto my finger tips and that is when my wrist breaks and I push the ball onto the lane with my finger tips. At that time the ball turns my wrist as my fingers come out giving me nice revs without trying to make revs happen. So if you are an early turner try this during practice. It allows you to concentrate on what your hand is doing.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.