Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 step approach?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Go to the USBC website: Bowl.com, and look under "Find A..." Coach. Enter your zip code and it will tell you the Certified Coaches in your area.
    Thanks Rob! Found 2 within 20 miles of me...lol. One would likely bowl at our center as that would be the closest to their town. One is a level 1 and the other is a bronze level. I wouldn't consider myself that green but I think my problem is the basics so might even be better. I looked within 50 miles and didn't recognize any of the names but that's fine.

Been reading up on approach and timing and will see if anything triggers in my head but if not then might be calling a coach! But the more I read and think about it I'd say 95% that my issue is timing. I do know my slide foot gets to the line before my ball and I am using my arm muscles to catch up, causing the speed increase. Now to figure out how to fix it.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Personally, I'd go with the Bronze level. Level One is concerned with teaching rank beginners who are just starting out. Bronze would be a better fit for you.

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Thanks Rob! Found 2 within 20 miles of me...lol. One would likely bowl at our center as that would be the closest to their town. One is a level 1 and the other is a bronze level. I wouldn't consider myself that green but I think my problem is the basics so might even be better. I looked within 50 miles and didn't recognize any of the names but that's fine.

Been reading up on approach and timing and will see if anything triggers in my head but if not then might be calling a coach! But the more I read and think about it I'd say 95% that my issue is timing. I do know my slide foot gets to the line before my ball and I am using my arm muscles to catch up, causing the speed increase. Now to figure out how to fix it.
    if you can make the trip the guy at Coral Lanes in West Mifflin is a coach for CCAC and a silver level i believe

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Agree with Rob, definitely seek out the Bronze level coach. Level 1 coaching is mainly to show the very base level of skills and other social aspects. As for the comment of taking some time to try and figure it out on your own by reading up on some things just remember that you will not be able to see yourself in the 3rd person unless you video. Also, many times what you feel is not what is happening. You are dealing with knee problems that can lead to something much more serious and doesn't limit itself to bowling.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

High Roller

Experimented tonight with my approach and felt really weird and not good results. 3rd frame of game 1 a fellow lefty came over to see what he could see. He is a 225ish bowler and on that ball it was a perfect shot. What I ended up doing was moving back about 18" on my approach and taking longer steps. I think what I was doing was taking too short of steps and getting too far ahead of my feet at the release. Felt much better tonight. Also started the ball motion a little earlier to get my timing a little better. Definite improvement tonight. Missed a bunch of spares but I hit the pocket consistently, only got off balance and hopped a few times and knee feels much better.

EDIT: one thing the fellow bowler said was my timing was just a little late but not enough to be an issue so will work on that. I'm still using too much arm to get the ball going. Last night I was well into the 17 MPH range all night but balance at the line wasn't much of an issue.

EDIT 2: Same fellow bowler also said the shot for lefties is really hard this year for some reason. He didn't elaborate but just said him and about 3 other top lefties in our league are down about 20 pins this year. Said if you miss to the inside you hit high and miss to the outside and it doesn't come back. Said it is a very fine line for us lefties this year. He did say my teammate was an exception because of his line. He throws the 10 board and high rev but never gets outside the 10 board. This fellow bowler has a similar line to mine but way more revs and a little more speed. But he is around the 5 board and straight down with a hard turn at the end. Similarities pretty much end with the 5 board and my ball turning about 5' before his...lol

172 (7 strikes and no spares)

Average now is 172.63

Will keep this thread updated. Hoping once I get more comfortable with this my scores come up.
    Last edited by boatman37; 10-24-2018 at 11:45 PM.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12