Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do left handed bowlers really have a natural hook?

Chats: 0

Default Do left handed bowlers really have a natural hook?

When I was bowling I used to hear that left handed bowlers have a natural hook in their ball. I don't know if anyone here ever heard that in all of the years you have been bowling. If lefty bowlers have a natural hook how could that be possible? Maybe it is just an old wives tale from long ago. What do you guys/gals think about this? No, I am not crazy, I really heard this.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

I've never heard this, and I can't think of anything physically that would differentiate a righty from a lefty in terms of how they throw. Basically, whatever your dominant hand is, it is.

That's not to say that individuals (both right and left) can have a "natural" hook in how they throw the ball.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I’ve heard it, and always thought it was bogus. Since starting to coach 8 years ago, I can cite a number of examples of lefties who started throwing either a straight ball or a reverse hook, and an equal number of righties who started off with a hook.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Might look at the thread:

Do left handed people really have a natural hook to their ball?
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...-to-their-ball

But no, At least not anymore than anyone else.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I'm a lefty and I've never heard this.

I do have a natural curve when I throw a baseball/softball though lol
    In my bag........15lbs Ebonite Pivot Master (overseas), Ebonite The One Boss (overseas), Ebonite Verdict, Ebonite GameBreaker 2 Gold
    Lefty, Rev Rate 370, Speed 17mph

I have never heard this. But I did have to start bowling left handed due to right arm injury, and what I found out was that the left side of the lane plays much better. I am not good at left handed bowling, but the ball reaction is so consistent on the left side that it is amazing!! I am guessing that this is due to less wear on the left side vs the wear on the right side, plus due to less left handed bowlers our lane man puts less oil on the left side than the right side saving the bowling center owners money according to the lane man anyway.

Pin Crusher

Don't believe in the natural hook myth.
    They do have a big advantage because of the shot holding up much longer, assuming the house oils the lanes the way they should.
    Never heard of a house shot using less oil on one side vs. the other.

High Roller

Being left handed I had heard this before but not sure I believe it. I have been throwing a hook since I was about 12 (around 1981). As far as lefties having an advantage, probably true at many houses but I think we have a pretty equal number of lefties as righties in our league. 3 of our 5 on our team are lefties and a few weeks ago we bowled a team with 3 lefties. I'm usually pretty good till near the end of game 2 before I have to move but it's usually a 1 board or so move (but I also play way outside where nobody else plays so I'm usually the only one that far out). If I had to give a ballpark number I'd say 40% are lefties but the high rev bowlers seemed to almost all be righties.
    Last edited by boatman37; 11-04-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Don't believe in the natural hook myth.
    They do have a big advantage because of the shot holding up much longer, assuming the house oils the lanes the way they should.
    Never heard of a house shot using less oil on one side vs. the other.
    PAGE 8 of 29 AMF Lane maintenance manual states this line in 3.0 Lane care and Maintenance:

The specific board where the conditioner distribution changes from the minimum allowed to the maximum allowed is one of the variables that the center must decide. The board on which this change occurs can be different on the right side of the lane compared to the left side of the lane.

The above last line is where our lane man decided to lower the volume on the left side to save money on oil being applied because in his opinion there is no need for excess oil on the left side due to very few left handed bowlers in our area and the fact that the right side has more wear it requires in his mind more oil.

I am only telling you what he said, and quoting the AMF manual that he uses to make his decisions. Below is the whole paragraph:

The overall conditioning pattern on a High Performance Lane surface should have the minimum units of oil allowed by local country rule for the first seven to
    twelve boards on both the right and left sides of the lane. The specific board where the conditioner distribution changes from the minimum allowed to the
    maximum allowed is one of the variables that the center must decide. The board on which this change occurs can be different on the right side of the lane
    compared to the left side of the lane. The recommended number of units of oil in the middle of the lane is at least 20 units or more of lane oil. The rate of change
    from the minimum number of units used on the outsides to the maximum number of units of oil used in the center of the lane may also be controlled by local
    country rule. In the United States, there is no control on this rate of change and therefore, very abrupt rates of change are used in the United States.

Pin Crusher

Your giving those low pay lane men a lot of credit. My guess is most don't care or don't give a darn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast