Trident Abyss is the newest form of Motiv weaponry to combat heavy oil and possesses the same Turbulent core as its predecessors Trident and Trident Quest, the difference however in Abyss is Coercion HV3 reactive coverstock with an out of box finish of 2000 LLS. The cover is designed to provide traction on the heaviest of oil patterns.

I consider Abyss to be the snow tire of snow tires because of the amount of traction it provides while going through the oil pattern effortlessly, it had no issue heavily standing up in the midlane with more than enough energy down lane to go through the 1-3.

As the oil pattern transitioned it became a matter of moving left and as long as there was enough oil up front for me Abyss continued to do as advertised, because Coercion is s huge cover you will see no shortage of hook or recovery down lane.

To the credit of Abyss it does create a fair amount of angle at the break point for the cover being as coarse as it is, granted it is not as angular as the Trident Quest but it’s still rather impressive. Abyss isn’t the type of weaponry that will checkmark off the spot but it will stand up and roll over, a trait I find most desirable in snow tires.

Comparisons

Jackal Rising: The strength of between the two of them is the ability to overpower heavier patterns due to the coverstocks they possess, Coercion HV3 is bigger than the Coercion HV2 and is also earlier providing more traction overall. If it’s a snow tire you want then Abyss is what you’re looking for and should you want a smoother alternative go with the Jackal Rising.

Jackal Ghost: Ghost is more angular on heavier patterns than Abyss is at the break point and is not as early as Abyss is, Abyss also has a bigger cover than that of the Jackal Ghost.

Trident: Although can create traction on the heaviest oil patterns it doesn’t create as much traction as Abyss does. Trident does offer more angularity than Abyss does down lane because of its hybrid coverstock

I like the traction Abyss creates which is why it’s an easy choice when encountering heavy oil patterns, not only do I get a lot of traction but that traction is not lost when I have to move my feet left of target. As the pattern breaks down and the fronts start to fade it is not beneficial for me to continue to use Abyss out of box, it is best that I ball down as excessive friction is not beneficial to Abyss. Motiv has a record of creating weaponry that does as advertised as Abyss is no different, weaponry designed to combat the heaviest of oil patterns.

Stare into the Abyss if you dare.

Your game will thank you for it.

K.C. White II
Motiv Staff
Whybowl Staff