Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about choosing a new ball

Chats: 32

Even among the same brands different makes will roll different than another ball. From what I've seen Brunswick tends to be more even rolling than Storm doesn't mean that storm can't make an even rolling ball (check out a IQ tour) or Brunswick a skid snap reaction but the tendencies are their. I would not suggest picking a ball by brand only an expecting a reaction.

If you want more even rolling balls pick balls with more surface, lower RG, and stronger covers

If you want more skid snap balls go with more polished surfaces, higher RG, and weaker covers

Truthfully buying a ball by brand is simply the worst way of choosing a ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post

If you want more even rolling balls pick balls with more surface, lower RG, and stronger covers

If you want more skid snap balls go with more polished surfaces, higher RG, and weaker covers

Thanks! That's the kind of info I think I needed.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Another thing to take with a grain of salt is review videos, especially from manufacturers- every ball hits hard with a 20 mph/500+ rev pro throwing it. I would really consider trying to learn the "new" ways of how balls are set up. Back in those days of the Cobalt Rhino (I had one too!) and the Faballs, everything was different. It is much more clear what to look for when you understand how the modern measurements like PAP/AR/AT etc. affect a ball's motion and how the core and coverstock combined with surface modification all work together. At least then you know what to ask Mo later. There are some good videos you can look at on YT by Radical/Mo, Master, etc- that will start to make some of these things clearer.

I have to disagree here for the simple reason that information about cover materials is not shared with bowlers. We are not told what the COF in oil is. We are not told what the COF on dry is. We are not told how absorbent the materials are. We are only fed marketing rhetoric about how the materials react. While Brunswick told us that the Fortera Exile went long and snapped, the ball was a total dud. The same with the supposed smooth rolling Storm Sync. Brand loyalty among non-staffers makes no sense for bowlers who bowl on tournament conditions where different types of rolls are actually needed. On a house shot it really does very little except to look cool to other bowlers.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I had a Storm Sync that a fellow lefty gave me when I first came back. Didn't quite fit me right but was close. It had more back end snap than anything I have ever thrown, including the Kingpin and Black Widow Gold. I couldn't tell you the technical reasons why other than ball design but that's what I'm trying to learn. I bowled some pretty good games with it then bought the BWG. It had some backend but not like the Sync and my scores were lower. Just had a harder time getting carries but most of that was me. The Sync seemed to be more forgiving. Then I bought the Kingpin and it has much less backend and starts grabbing the lane sooner. It seems to be more forgiving too. I tried to get the Sync redrilled for me but found it was cracked so threw it out. I wish that Sync had fit me better and was still in my bag. Now that I'm getting a little more accurate and starting to understand why I was struggling I'd like to try it again.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I have to disagree here for the simple reason that information about cover materials is not shared with bowlers. We are not told what the COF in oil is. We are not told what the COF on dry is. We are not told how absorbent the materials are. We are only fed marketing rhetoric about how the materials react. While Brunswick told us that the Fortera Exile went long and snapped, the ball was a total dud. The same with the supposed smooth rolling Storm Sync. Brand loyalty among non-staffers makes no sense for bowlers who bowl on tournament conditions where different types of rolls are actually needed. On a house shot it really does very little except to look cool to other bowlers.
    Holding some thoughts on ball manufacturer isn't out of line but buying a storm ball simply because I prefer balls that go long and snap is more of a fools errand than anything else. Most companies tend to come up with new cover materials and names like candy. Even if they don't do you believe that R2S from 10 years ago is the same as today's? A lot of bowlers who are pretty good don't believe it is.

We can do some prep work of knowing the core numbers, our stats, maybe watch some vids with people similar to our own styles but to some extent at least its a mystery on exactly what we are getting. Do as much research as possible, make as informed decision as you can, but at the end of the day realize that any one stat will lead you down the wrong road more often than not. Even if you do you research it's still somewhat of a lottery ticket to find that exact match with what your wanting.

Current arsenal

Even if you do you research it's still somewhat of a lottery ticket to find that exact match with what your wanting.
    Part of the research has to be an understanding of each company's marketing strategy in terms of their demographics. You are much more likely to find that exact match to what you're wanting if you factor in the marketing strategy than if you delude yourself into thinking that each manufacturers cover materials are randomly formulated to give bowlers every option that they may want.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Part of the research has to be an understanding of each company's marketing strategy in terms of their demographics. You are much more likely to find that exact match to what you're wanting if you factor in the marketing strategy than if you delude yourself into thinking that each manufacturers cover materials are randomly formulated to give bowlers every option that they may want.
    Oh I don't believe that they are blended to give us what we want everyone wants and needs something different. While I have enough experience throwing Brunswick to agree they are typically more rolly and I've seen enough Storm to agree they tend to skid a little more. I'm not sure that's a classification that should be used much. The Forterra Exile was a bad joke most of the staffers admitted it before the ball came out didn't take much research their. I have no idea what the general design principles are out of Hopkinsville or how much different Motive tends to be but if I take a notion to buy one that wouldn't stop me.

We need to get over this mindset of every ball being the only one I'm buying, the majority of semi serious bowlers have multiple balls and will probably purchase at least 1 a season. Everyone tends to act like its the end of life if they don't get what they intended or wanted out of a ball. Which I generally find as funny when they had little idea what they were buying to begin with.

Truthfully I don't feel much is learned if the cover on 2 that I own are R2S and I buy a new one with AI-17 on it. The majority of bowlers your lucky if they have a notion of the RG and the surface on the ball more less even knowing the name of the cover. If they gave a COF 2% of bowlers might know what that was anyway.

Current arsenal

Chats: 1

Usually I buy a ball to fit a slot in my arsenal. Since I was migrating to 15 lb equipment everything was wide open. I think I have everything covered from dry to Medium-Heavy right now. If I need to cover heavier, I can add surface to my Quick Fix. I had it at 3000 for a few weeks. It forced me much further inside than I'm comfortable at this stage.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12