Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry-Medium Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Coorslghtman1025 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I do not hook the ball and my average is only 130. I was looking at Brunswick or DV8 balls. Any suggestions?
    Most any entry-level reactive ball will be a good choice for you at your current average.

Quote Originally Posted by Coorslghtman1025 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I do not hook the ball and my average is only 130. I was looking at Brunswick or DV8 balls. Any suggestions?
    That bit of info is very helpful!!! "If you do not hook the ball".. then the truth is that you would want something that is durable that will last longer, and the truth is a urethane ball will out last plastic and reactive's hands down!! I am speaking from 50 years of experience!!! old school Rubber or old school urethane or even new "pure urethane" will last a life time!!!!

Now if you just want the reactive because of how it looks with all the pretty colors...etc ...then sure fork out that double or quadruple amount of money to have a pretty bowling ball that might crack and chip and be worn out after several seasons, rather than buying a urethane that will last 20 years or longer.

if you do not hook the ball, then the type of ball you buy does not matter as long as you like it, and understand the difference in how long the ball will last you. Reactive's and plastic wear out much faster than pure urethane. But the choice is yours to make.

Good luck

I have not seen anything in this thread that indicates that he is looking for a ball based on how long it will last. The fact that he doesn't hook the ball NOW, doesn't mean that he will never figure out that a lesson or two with a Certified Coach would probably be a good idea. Longevity not withstanding, unless he has a whole lot of ball speed, urethane is a really bad idea for house bowlers.

I disagree with anyone who is against urethane. Reactive's are not the only answer!!! Our house shot in all three centers and two other centers within 30 miles do not have enough oil volume to even use reactive's!!!
    I watch fools stand there scratching there head trying to figure out why there new reactive bowling ball won't hook anywhere on the lane side to side or front to back!!!! Yet i can throw a old fabal blue hammer down 8 board and it will hook roll up into the pocket and strike when everyone else is trying to force there reactive ball to hook and all it does is slide and never recovers not even with 600 revs on the ball!!!

Our high school bowlers bowl on flat low volume oil as well, and the ones who are scoring highest are using urethane pearls & solids.

Now if you are bowling at a mom and pop bowling center who still put down 1990's easy house shot like the the old 40ft christmas tree pattern then yes....Reactive is the way to go!!! If you are lucky enough to bowl at a center like that where you can have fun then you are blessed!!!!! So have fun while you can

For centers like ours who comply with USBC, we bowl in hell where reactive's skid past the break point no matter how you adjust!!! Unless you are left handed.....lol

Our heads are so dry reactive's hook as soon as they touch the lane!!!!!! Fools stand there throwing harder and harder lofting the ball only to have it skid for 55 ft before it even tries to wiggle!!!!
    Last edited by TTREX; 10-28-2018 at 07:34 PM.

And I disagree with anyone who recommends urethane without clarifying the recommendation with a notation about ball speed.

i respect your right to disagree, no problem there. I personally know the people who run our local USBC chapter, and these people hate reactive bowling balls and are doing everything in there power to prevent them from being of any use. They purposely put down oil patterns that do not favor reactive resin bowling balls. They purposely put down oil patterns that favor plastic and or urethane. Do i agree with them?? No i do not, as i myself like reactive resin bowling balls, yet i cannot use them due the stupid crap our local USBC is pushing!! When I recommend a urethane bowling ball to someone who does not hook the ball, and they are bowling on dry lanes!!! Then I am not wrong in advising this, unless they are so dry that they need to use plastic!!! Sure this person can buy an entry level reactive, but why recommend an entry level reactive when they are bowling on dry lanes?? That makes no sense, but then again most do not even know what they are bowling on, so yes i was wrong assuming they knew the lanes were in fact dry.....lol

So yeah go ahead and recommend reactive for dry lanes for some one who does not even hook the ball, that's surely the right answer for a beginner...smh

You are only looking at the shape of the shot, not the energy retention of the ball. The only requirement that the USBC has in terms of oil patterns is that there has to be a minimum of three units of oil from gutter to gutter. When you take a urethane bowling ball without much ball speed, whether it is hooking or going straight, it will hit like a toasted marshmallow if it is set down in the dirt. The problem with lane conditions that are "too dry" is that bowlers still insist on playing blackjack: standing on twenty and hitting ten!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Okay, I think I got this train wreck back on the tracks.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

"Our high school bowlers bowl on flat low volume oil as well, and the ones who are scoring highest are using urethane pearls & solids."

I just wanted to call this point out because there is some real value to this comment. The argument is not that there is no value in urethane, it is the timing of when a bowler should use urethane - as much as I disagree with using urethane in this situation (new bowler/house shot), I do agree that there are situations in which urethane is the choice. When bowling on very difficult patterns where you need to burn off energy and control the back-ends urethane is often one of the best choices you can make. Flat patterns as described in the quote above in which you don't have much miss room make sense for a ball that will roll early and let you control the backend, especially when scoring is at a premium (this prevents you from messy leaves and allows you to cover spares and win).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12