Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Force Pearl Ballmotion video

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Pyramid Force Pearl Ballmotion video

Well finally got a video cobbled together of my Force Pearl, Maybe not my best bowling. But it won't be a video of nothing but strikes!! You'll get to see how th ball reacts on less than perfect shots.

I'm trying out a new camera here, also I'm trying out a new microphone on my computer for adding voice overs. So bear with me if the gain on the volume is too high, still trying to figure out adjust the it in the software so the output is right.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

I decided to add this one to the closet of destiny. I needed some shoe accessories and figured "what the heck"...haven't bought a ball in awhile. The specs were what I was looking for and the price was right. The RG is a little higher than ideal for a skid/flip ball...but otherwise it looks like a good ball #3 option. I might drop the surface down to 1000, then hit it with Step 2, then add polish...try to get a little more angular reaction at the breakpoint.

The debut of this ball is scheduled for Fall 2020-2021...so hopefully I can keep it from cracking until then. I figure it will be a good "skid/flip" #3 option Planning on starting with the Storm Optimus Hybrid, balling down to the 900 Global Special Ops...then using the Force as my skid/flip option. I could possibly delay debuting it till 2021-2022 if I end up liking the Fotera Exile and don't put many games on that ball next season (2019-2020).

But, looking forward to finally giving Pyramid a try! I wanted to get a "Chosen One"...but never pulled the trigger (closet of destiny was rather full).

Is there a major manufacturer ball out there that this ball is similar to in terms of core and cover?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I decided to add this one to the closet of destiny. I needed some shoe accessories and figured "what the heck"...haven't bought a ball in awhile. The specs were what I was looking for and the price was right. The RG is a little higher than ideal for a skid/flip ball...but otherwise it looks like a good ball #3 option. I might drop the surface down to 1000, then hit it with Step 2, then add polish...try to get a little more angular reaction at the breakpoint.

The debut of this ball is scheduled for Fall 2020-2021...so hopefully I can keep it from cracking until then. I figure it will be a good "skid/flip" #3 option Planning on starting with the Storm Optimus Hybrid, balling down to the 900 Global Special Ops...then using the Force as my skid/flip option. I could possibly delay debuting it till 2021-2022 if I end up liking the Fotera Exile and don't put many games on that ball next season (2019-2020).

But, looking forward to finally giving Pyramid a try! I wanted to get a "Chosen One"...but never pulled the trigger (closet of destiny was rather full).

Is there a major manufacturer ball out there that this ball is similar to in terms of core and cover?
    I don't see any one really rolling Pyramid out here much less enough of them to compare them but as far as core goes they are very similar.

Special Ops
    2.52 .044 .017
    Force Pearl
    2.53 .051 .019

Personally I don't see the need for 2 asymmetric pearls in the same bag so I wouldn't drill both at the same time. Most of the OPS series of balls have been vary popular but I have seen less said about the Special Ops than any of rest I'm not sure why. The Black OPs has been very popular in this area but I believe the core was modified somewhat in the Special Ops. All of the Ops series of balls have tended more towards the skid-flip variety. Can't say much about the Pyramid offering
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I don't see any one really rolling Pyramid out here much less enough of them to compare them but as far as core goes they are very similar.
    I think I've only ever seen maybe two Pyramids, ever, on the lanes...I think both were the spare ball variety.

Special Ops
    2.52 .044 .017
    Force Pearl
    2.53 .051 .019

Personally I don't see the need for 2 asymmetric pearls in the same bag so I wouldn't drill both at the same time.
    The Special Ops is a hybrid cover, not a pearl. If it were a Pearl, I'd likely use it as a "dry lanes ball #4 option"...not as a Ball #2.

Most of the OPS series of balls have been vary popular but I have seen less said about the Special Ops than any of rest I'm not sure why. The Black OPs has been very popular in this area but I believe the core was modified somewhat in the Special Ops.
    I haven't seen any of them on the lanes. 900Global is still a fairly unpopular brand...waiting to see if Storm's marketing prowess can be utilized to bring 900Global out of the ashes...I guess we'll see. I'd have never bought the Special Ops (unless it was on sale big time)...but I won it in a tournament...might as well use it as some point.

All of the Ops series of balls have tended more towards the skid-flip variety. Can't say much about the Pyramid offering
    I would not consider the Special Ops a "Skid/Flip, Ball #3" option.
    For me, an ideal Ball #3 (skid/flip) option has the following specs:

Core: Assymetric (the whole point of skid/flip is the flip...you need assymetric core for that)
    Cover: Pearl (same as above...need skid)
    RG: 2.49-2.51 (similar to assymetry...you need a core that is going to turn hard when it experiences friction)
    Differential: 0.047-0.054
    PerfectScale Rating: > 204.8 (Similar to RG...you need a 'strong' ball)
    Surfacing: 500-1500 polished (again, you need the skid...)

The Special Ops has too high of an RG, a hybrid cover, and far too low of a PerfectScale rating to be a skid/flip ball.

And yes, I know people will debate whether this or that is meaningful, especially PerfectScale, but keep in mind these are all utilized simultaneously...it's not just ONE spec I'm relying on...it's a combination of all of them. My Scandal Pearl is an excellent skid/flip ball and meets all of those criteria. My old Brunswick Loaded Revolver was an 'okay' skid/flip option and it met most of the ideal specs...but was on the low end of the PerfectScale and had a symmetric core.

I can't say I'm overly excited about that arsenal (Not next season, but the season after)...I have questions about the Optimus Solid, The Special Ops is questionable, and I've never used a Pyramid ball...but I guess thats how you find out what brands you throw well and what brands you don't. I thought I'd love throwing Rotogrip...and of the two balls I tried...I had to give both of them away...they were awful. The 900Global ball and Storm ball I threw previously was before I really knew what I was doing...so it'll be interesting to see how they work with my improved game.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I would not consider the Special Ops a "Skid/Flip, Ball #3" option.
    For me, an ideal Ball #3 (skid/flip) option has the following specs:

Core: Assymetric (the whole point of skid/flip is the flip...you need assymetric core for that)
    Cover: Pearl (same as above...need skid)
    RG: 2.49-2.51 (similar to assymetry...you need a core that is going to turn hard when it experiences friction)
    Differential: 0.047-0.054
    PerfectScale Rating: > 204.8 (Similar to RG...you need a 'strong' ball)
    Surfacing: 500-1500 polished (again, you need the skid...)

The Special Ops has too high of an RG, a hybrid cover, and far too low of a PerfectScale rating to be a skid/flip ball.

And yes, I know people will debate whether this or that is meaningful, especially PerfectScale, but keep in mind these are all utilized simultaneously...it's not just ONE spec I'm relying on...it's a combination of all of them. My Scandal Pearl is an excellent skid/flip ball and meets all of those criteria. My old Brunswick Loaded Revolver was an 'okay' skid/flip option and it met most of the ideal specs...but was on the low end of the PerfectScale and had a symmetric core.

I can't say I'm overly excited about that arsenal (Not next season, but the season after)...I have questions about the Optimus Solid, The Special Ops is questionable, and I've never used a Pyramid ball...but I guess thats how you find out what brands you throw well and what brands you don't. I thought I'd love throwing Rotogrip...and of the two balls I tried...I had to give both of them away...they were awful. The 900Global ball and Storm ball I threw previously was before I really knew what I was doing...so it'll be interesting to see how they work with my improved game.
    Not sure tooo much what your getting with your criteria for skid/flip:

Rule#1 Must be asymmetric. I guess Asymmetry is somewhat helpful here but not really necessary doesn't really matter as the ball we are discussing is asymmetrical
    Rule#2 Pearl. This makes zero difference why bowlers seem to feel a difference between a solid/hybrid/pearl I've never really understood what matters is the surface of the ball which is polished.
    Rule#3 Rg 2.49-2.51. What makes you pick those particular #'s? What matters is how far down the lane the ball gets before making it's turn. If a ball had an RG of 2.55 it just goes even a little farther (not a bad thing) when looking for flipiness. this one is 2.52 so not much off your supposed ideal
    Rule#4 Differential: .047-054 I'm not a big believer in diff making much of a difference for your average bowler but I would try to keep it more in the middle. This one is .44 so I don't think you'll notice the difference from .47 to .44 again close to your ideal
    Rule#5 PerfectScale Rating: > 204.8 (Similar to RG...you need a 'strong' ball). We've debated perfect scale before and strong is relative when discussing bowling balls. Here you don't want too strong as the stronger a cover is the sooner is catches friction defeating skid/flip
    Rule#6 Polished So it's is polished.

A ball really can't have too high of an RG to be skid flip if anything a higher RG will make it longer and thus more skid flip
    Hybrid cover how much of anything was added? You have no idea neither do I but if bother covers are polished it won't make much difference how far down the lane they will go
    too low on perfectscale? How about this A hybrid cover supposedly makes the ball hook earlier a higher RG will make it go farther and A weaker cover maybe farther again how's that not skid flip? as I've often said it's not any of these numbers you watch but how they interact with each other.

Current arsenal

Not sure tooo much what your getting with your criteria for skid/flip:

Rule#1 Must be asymmetric. I guess Asymmetry is somewhat helpful here but not really necessary doesn't really matter as the ball we are discussing is asymmetrical
    The way I look at it is...when someone explains the difference between "symmetric and assymetric cores"...what is the most common explanation? A 'symmetric' core gives you a smoother, more predictable motion to the pocket. It's a reverse 'C' shaped ball motion versus a reverse 'L' shaped ball motion.

Therefore...for a ball to truly be a skid/FLIP ball...you want the 'L' shape...not the reverse 'C' shape....and you need a more assymetric core for that result.

CAN a symmetric core ball work as a skid/flip ball? Yes. Why? Because all symmetric core balls become assymetric when drilled. But again...the question is about 'ideal' vs. 'non-ideal'.

Rule#2 Pearl. This makes zero difference why bowlers seem to feel a difference between a solid/hybrid/pearl I've never really understood what matters is the surface of the ball which is polished.
    True...but again..."ideal" versus "non-ideal". Can I polish a solid coverstock and make it co as long as a pearl coverstock? Yup. And when that polish starts to wear off...I'm gonna have "non-ideal" things happen.

Case in point: My DV8 Thug Life. It's my ball #1. It is NOT an ideal ball #1. It is a pearl (versus ideal being solid). Can I surface it to make it work as a good Ball #1? Yes...but...as that surface wears off...I lose carry.

Rule#3 Rg 2.49-2.51. What makes you pick those particular #'s?
    That's a complicated answer. It started out as > 2.541...but then I started realizing the better skid/flip balls had lower RGs...so it became <2.503. Then, I realized it was probably more of a range than a </> situation...so I came up with 2.49-2.51. Like Isaid, the best skid/flip ball I've thrown to date is the Scandal Pearl...RG = 2.49. The Fortera Exile I chose for my next arsenal is a 2.512. Two different ends of that range.

What matters is how far down the lane the ball gets before making it's turn. If a ball had an RG of 2.55 it just goes even a little farther (not a bad thing) when looking for flipiness. this one is 2.52 so not much off your supposed ideal
    It goes back to how people define RG. Experts (like Rob I believe) refer to the RG/core as the "engine" of the ball. Weaker balls tend to have higher RGs...stronger balls tend to have lower RGs. Weakest ball I've ever thrown...Track 300A...2.58 RG. Strongest balls I've thrown...Scandal Pearl, Reax Pearl, Thug Life...all 2.49 RGs. You want the skid/flip ball to take a powerful 'snap' downlane...not simply roll over. That requires that low RG/higher Diff spec.

Rule#4 Differential: .047-054 I'm not a big believer in diff making much of a difference for your average bowler but I would try to keep it more in the middle. This one is .44 so I don't think you'll notice the difference from .47 to .44 again close to your ideal
    See above...higher diff and lower RG usually go hand-in-hand. You want enough diff to get that angular 'snap'. I'd say this is one of the least crucial though. Generally a ball in the RG range is going to fall in the differential range.

Rule#5 PerfectScale Rating: > 204.8 (Similar to RG...you need a 'strong' ball). We've debated perfect scale before and strong is relative when discussing bowling balls. Here you don't want too strong as the stronger a cover is the sooner is catches friction defeating skid/flip
    PerfectScale measures overall hook potential, not just how soon it hooks. It's kind've a 'less necessary' criteria...because if all the other criteria is good...the PerfectScale will be as well...since PerfectScale is based on the same numbers. The reason I continue to include it is; if my specs aren't perfect (ideal)...PerfectScale is just an easier measure. It sort of rounds the edges so to speak. And, like before, most good skid/flip balls have high perfectscale values.

Rule#6 Polished So it's is polished.
    This is the least important because it can be manipulated by the bowler after purchase. But, it's the most important if you are a bowler that doesn't have a ball spinner...because if you buy a sanded skid/flip ball...you don't have a skid/flip ball until you polish it...and then you need to pay $25-$35 every few weeks to maintain that...especially if it's a solid and not a pearl. I don't use the surface number as much in "selection"...I use it more as a guide on maintaining the ideal surface. And again, most good skid/flip balls are an abrasive surface (like 500 Siaair/Abralon) polished. You want that polish to get that skid...but you want that underlying surface to abruptly turn that corner.

Too bad that dude from Radical isn't here to comment. He's very wise in these bowling spec regards...I'd love to get his take...even if his take is that I'm three quarters short of a dollar.
    Last edited by Aslan; 04-22-2019 at 01:52 PM.

The way I look at it is...when someone explains the difference between "symmetric and assymetric cores"...what is the most common explanation? A 'symmetric' core gives you a smoother, more predictable motion to the pocket. It's a reverse 'C' shaped ball motion versus a reverse 'L' shaped ball motion.

Therefore...for a ball to truly be a skid/FLIP ball...you want the 'L' shape...not the reverse 'C' shape....and you need a more assymetric core for that result.
    Probably some truth to this I do very much believe you don't want multiple asymmetrical pearls in the bag though. The more specialized you make this ball the more you will make it a niche reaction to have on the lanes. Every now and then a left turn clyde type of ball is warranted but the more so it is the less often you will find the condition that it excels at.

CAN a symmetric core ball work as a skid/flip ball? Yes. Why? Because all symmetric core balls become assymetric when drilled. But again...the question is about 'ideal' vs. 'non-ideal'.

True...but again..."ideal" versus "non-ideal". Can I polish a solid coverstock and make it co as long as a pearl coverstock? Yup. And when that polish starts to wear off...I'm gonna have "non-ideal" things happen.

Case in point: My DV8 Thug Life. It's my ball #1. It is NOT an ideal ball #1. It is a pearl (versus ideal being solid). Can I surface it to make it work as a good Ball #1? Yes...but...as that surface wears off...I lose carry.
    The Surface wears period regardless of it's a solid/hybrid/pearl you wouldn't have to maintain the cover of your Thug Life less if it was a solid they still wear and at the same speed.

That's a complicated answer. It started out as > 2.541...but then I started realizing the better skid/flip balls had lower RGs...so it became <2.503. Then, I realized it was probably more of a range than a </> situation...so I came up with 2.49-2.51. Like Isaid, the best skid/flip ball I've thrown to date is the Scandal Pearl...RG = 2.49. The Fortera Exile I chose for my next arsenal is a 2.512. Two different ends of that range.
    Your range is too small. I get what you are trying to say unfortunately you are combining some personal experience with a few balls and trying to make a rule out of it. The difference between 2.50 ball a 2.52 ball is really small and misses a lot of factors. It make sense to believe that most balls in the skid/flip variety will have RG factors 2.50 or so plus.

It goes back to how people define RG. Experts (like Rob I believe) refer to the RG/core as the "engine" of the ball. Weaker balls tend to have higher RGs...stronger balls tend to have lower RGs. Weakest ball I've ever thrown...Track 300A...2.58 RG. Strongest balls I've thrown...Scandal Pearl, Reax Pearl, Thug Life...all 2.49 RGs. You want the skid/flip ball to take a powerful 'snap' downlane...not simply roll over. That requires that low RG/higher Diff spec.

See above...higher diff and lower RG usually go hand-in-hand. You want enough diff to get that angular 'snap'. I'd say this is one of the least crucial though. Generally a ball in the RG range is going to fall in the differential range.
    This has as much to do with the strength of the cover than the core. you also tend to have the weakest covers combined with super high RG cores to help you deal with lower oil situations it's why your noticing a tendency between higher rg numbers but weaker reactions.

PerfectScale measures overall hook potential, not just how soon it hooks. It's kind've a 'less necessary' criteria...because if all the other criteria is good...the PerfectScale will be as well...since PerfectScale is based on the same numbers. The reason I continue to include it is; if my specs aren't perfect (ideal)...PerfectScale is just an easier measure. It sort of rounds the edges so to speak. And, like before, most good skid/flip balls have high perfectscale values.
    If you feel it helps you than so be it but I see more flaws with the system than benefits myself.

This is the least important because it can be manipulated by the bowler after purchase. But, it's the most important if you are a bowler that doesn't have a ball spinner...because if you buy a sanded skid/flip ball...you don't have a skid/flip ball until you polish it...and then you need to pay $25-$35 every few weeks to maintain that...especially if it's a solid and not a pearl. I don't use the surface number as much in "selection"...I use it more as a guide on maintaining the ideal surface. And again, most good skid/flip balls are an abrasive surface (like 500 Siaair/Abralon) polished. You want that polish to get that skid...but you want that underlying surface to abruptly turn that corner.
    As you've said you can change the surface and as I've said you have to maintain whatever surface you put on it. It doesn't matter which type it is it still requires the same maintenance. This has as much to do with your personal game as anything else. The more speed you have the less surface you will need. Many good bowlers automatically remove the factory polish from their balls as they feel it makes them "squirty". I probably know more people who despise the storm 1500 polished surface than like it.

Current arsenal

I think people are going to wonder why there's this massive, sudden interest in the Pyramid Force Pearl!!

Totally hijacked this thread for our internal nerd spec debate...which I swore never to have again because last time I asked about interest in learning more about specs...the consensus answer was...negative.

I can't believe you never used a Pyramid ball though...I coulda swore you had bought one before.

Chats: 256

Pearl, Hybrid or Solid - it's all just marketing.

Roll a pearl or solid of the same ball at the same surface and laid out the same way and let me know the difference. I bet you can't tell that there is any difference at all.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Looks like a decent ball. Hard to say at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast